I think I found my vibration problem

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Man, this pisses me off. I have been chasing this vibration problem for sometime now as most of you know. rebuilt tranny, driveline, rearend, new Schumacher mounts and more. It seems I have the wrong torque converter in it. Not 100 % sure yet. Will know later tonight but 5 years ago I bought this new converter from Summit racing. The number is a Hughes 24-30. It states it is for a 440 and has a 3000 stall. Just what I needed. Problem is the converter I needed was a 24-30-440BAL. That converter is for the external balanced 440. I didn't know that, Summit didn't know that or at least they didn't mention it because they don't sell it. Only place that does is Hughes Performance and it has to be made. No place on Google comes up with that number. My torque converter has no weights on either side of the drain plug. At least that is what Hughes told me. So, I am going to put this car up in the air later tonight and pull the inspection cover and see if the weights are on there. I assumed a parts place like Summit should know about this. One member on my other thread mentioned that my problem could be a converter. That is why I dug into this. Will let you know what I find later.

Bill,

I hope that turns out to be it. I know you've been chasing that for a long time. Good luck.

Bill,

I hope that turns out to be it. I know you've been chasing that for a long time. Good luck.

Just pulled the inspection cover and checked. There is no weights on this converter. So I am going to assume that this has been my problem. Kenny at PTC told me that there should be weights on both sides of the drain plug. So it looks like I will be ordering a new converter tomorrow.

Ouch! I learned something new the joys of a 440 in a a body!

I can feel the main bearings' pain from here.

Didn't mopar sell a converter weight set at one time? I thought someone did, then you could "possibly" weld them on the converter without pulling the transmission

pat blias sells weights for 360 balance, he might have the correct weights for a 440. he has an ebay store he replies t. torqueflight patty i believe

Yup, they've been getting their guts beat out for a while now.

I don't think the main bearings are hurt. Kenny at PTC is sending me the weights to weld on the converter that is in it. Said I can do that without pulling the converter. Will see.

Man, this pisses me off. I have been chasing this vibration problem for sometime now as most of you know. rebuilt tranny, driveline, rearend, new Schumacher mounts and more. It seems I have the wrong torque converter in it. Not 100 % sure yet. Will know later tonight but 5 years ago I bought this new converter from Summit racing. The number is a Hughes 24-30. It states it is for a 440 and has a 3000 stall. Just what I needed. Problem is the converter I needed was a 24-30-440BAL. That converter is for the external balanced 440. I didn't know that, Summit didn't know that or at least they didn't mention it because they don't sell it. Only place that does is Hughes Performance and it has to be made. No place on Google comes up with that number. My torque converter has no weights on either side of the drain plug. At least that is what Hughes told me. So, I am going to put this car up in the air later tonight and pull the inspection cover and see if the weights are on there. I assumed a parts place like Summit should know about this. One member on my other thread mentioned that my problem could be a converter. That is why I dug into this. Will let you know what I find later.
All summit knows are chevies

if u have a cast crank 440, do not install a converter without weights. unless u use the b+m counterweighted flexplate

Bill, didn't you tell me just a few days ago in another thread that you had the B&M flexplate on it? If so you do not need the converter balanced. The B&M flexplate does it for you.

here's the thread. Your post #31 states you have the B&M flexplate on it

what is a good torque convertor

bmm-10236.jpg

with the b&m flexplate with the half moon missing like pictured above you do not need the weights on the converter. It is made for a neutral balance converter and it adds the weight needed to balance an externally balanced engine.
What harmonic balancer do you have.

also does it vibrate in park? or driving?

B+M makes 2 flexplates for a 440, the one pictured above has a large cutout-it is for a cast crank and a converter without weights. B+M also has a fully round heavyduty neutral balanced flexplate for a 440-with a cast crank and weights on the converter. I would rotate the engine a full turn and look for weights and the flexplate cutout area. IF you have the cutout B+M flexplate-any converter guy should know you do not need weights on the converter.

I don't think the main bearings are hurt. Kenny at PTC is sending me the weights to weld on the converter that is in it. Said I can do that without pulling the converter. Will see.
Been there and done that and it works! Except I cut the weights off the old converter and welded them on to a small 318 converter to run behind the 440.

Last edited:
Been there and done that and it works! Except I cut the weights off the old converter and welded them on to a small 318 converter to run behind the 440.

well for what it is worth, I have spoke to several people today I trust and they all said that if I am running the B & M flexplate, I do not need weights on the converter. Now after doing some more checking, I found out that when this so called friend of mine built this engine for me back 15 years ago, he didn't balance the engine when he put it together. I was busy trucking and I didn't have time to take care of my business so that could explain the vibration I have had for 15 years. I was running GM at the track and he was running a 72 Dart and I figured he knew what he was doing. So, I just left the machine shop and for my winter project this year, the engine is coming out and I am going to have it rebuilt and balanced along with the converter.

or go internally balanced and get a new balancer. (your converter should be good to go neutral balanced/just need a neutral balance flexplate)

-
Back