I think I need a #920 head

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started taking my 273 apart tonight and noticed I have 2 different cylinder head casting numbers. One was #2465315 and #2658920. Everywhere I checked I found the #315 head to be for 64-65 273 although it doesn't look like the bolt holes have been redrilled and tapped for the smaller bolts at a different
angle. The #920 head is listed for a 66-67 273, 67 273-318,or a 66 273-4 bbl
depending on which website you believe. I don't know for sure which head is correct for my 66 although the #920 would be the most logical. I'm going to have to check the #315 head closer to find out why it doesn't have the smaller threads and different bolt angle. If you guys have any 273 heads laying around
let me know if you have any #920's. I may be in the market. toolmanmike

I don't know the history of my car but I remember the prev. owner mentioning something about the car going to the northwest when the owner was in the service. May-be he blew it up and it had to be reconstructed. I wonder if either head is correct for the car. The block is #2465330 which is correct. The #315
head with the 66 intake bolts and bolt angle stumps me though. I will take apart the short block in the next few days and see what secrets are hiding there. Boy, the timing chain was loooooooose. I should have pulled the timing cover and replaced that bad boy but I knew I was going to rebuild it soon.
toolmanmike

Not all of the 315 castings had the early style intake bolts. That casting was used until at least mid-66 but from what I could find out years ago when I ran into the 65 type intake bolts, during the end of the 65 model year is when they made the change to the normal LA intake bolt angle so you will find the 315s both ways.

Thanks for the info. Sometime in the past a head must have cracked and was replaced with a #920. All part of the car's history LOL toolman

-
Back