I think my lifters are shot

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I bought a set of adjustable roller rockers. I tried putting them on today. When i got to adjust them the lifter plunger just keeps going down. And after I crank it over a few times it still doesn't have any pressure. Is there any DEFINITE way to visually see if they are bad? I'm dreading removing the intake again.

Did you pump them up before installing them?
If not, pull the distributor and drive the oil pump with an electric drill to build up oil pressure. That should pump them up pretty quick.
If you have to pull the manifold, you can check them like this;
hold the lifter in question in your hand. Try to depress the plunger with a push rod. If you can depress it (feels spongy) submerge the lifter in oil and again depress the plunger with the push rod. The lifter should pump up and get solid really quickly. Repeat with the other lifters and install them.

you dont have to pull intake to replace them,,,,,,,,, just get a big flex magnet reach down thru head and pull them out it works real good for me

The lifters aren't new. The car has just been sitting for a few months while the build-up has been taking place. The engine ran for a few minutes last week,I don't think they would lose their prime in a week??

Yes, they could lose their prime in a week. Also, don't recommend using a magnet to pull lifters....if you magnetize the check ball inside you'll have all kinds of trouble; if you magnetize the tappet body you'll attract every errant metal shaving in the engine right to where you don't want it.....the cam lobes!

Well from pushing on the rocker arms I found 1 maybe 2 that has absolutey no spring in it at all. I take it thats bad right?

Just run the car for a while. It may take some time to refill the lifters up with oil. You would think that they would fill fast with the oiling system being under pressure. I let my Duster sit during the snow. (It's outside) I started it up and it made a racket for a bit. I just let it protest a bit until the lifters pumpes up.

I really would not worry a bit on magnetize-ing anything for the amount of time you'll have the magnet on the lifter.

Yeah they won't pump up. I removed the intake and I'm pulling the lfters right now. I have a brand new set of lifters, but they are just a bit taller than the ines that were in there. Can i just make up the difference in length with the adjustable rockers?

The lifters I have are Johnson lifters, part number HT 2011. Not sure if the are a good brand or not. They are brand new.

-
Back