I want a 360 (some questions)

-

bumnround

Reaction score
We have a 67 cuda with a very tired 273 and 4- speed,323 rear. Over the winter I want to freshen-up the motor and tranny. Were going to shelf the original 273 commando carb to pan. I'm going to look at a 73 360 tommarrow that may be a little to radical for me,but in a running driving a-body with an automatic/stall/manuel valve body. Now automatic cam,s are different ,how much effect will this have with standard tranny. 1988-91 360's are roller cammed. Does this mean that they have roller tappets and roller rockers? If I found one in a 88-91 dodge truck would the oil pan work with the cuda? I've seen lot's on pilot bushing's so a standard tranny truck would be best but closes a cheap,easy to find purchase. Opinions? I'll take any 360 education I can get. Thanks

truck pan won't work in a car, and the roller motors just have roller lifters not roller rockers.

Holy crap, I'm choppin this up to answer you. It's really not that hard. Check it out.
I'm going to look at a 73 360 tommarrow that may be a little to radical for me,

I seriously doubt it. In the stock form, even the lamest 360's of the smog years to the HP/Cop (E-58) or Magnum's aren't hell on wheels. But certainly a great platform on which to jump from.

You'll find alot of torque down low making the car a brezzee to move from a dead stop.

but in a running driving a-body with an automatic/stall/manuel valve body.

Tell me about this set up.

Now automatic cam,s are different ,how much effect will this have with standard tranny.

Ignore this unless your racing.

1988-91 360's are roller cammed. Does this mean that they have roller tappets and roller rockers?

If you pick up a roller cam engine complete (Key word, complete)
It will have roller tappets and a spider to hold them down on top of the roller cam.

No, roller rockers are not part of the package and will run about $450, give or take, for the shaft mounted system. This will require different pushrods IIRC.

If I found one in a 88-91 dodge truck would the oil pan work with the cuda?

The truck oil pans are rear sump style. These will not fit passenger cars. ASbout a $150 or so for a pan and pick up.

I've seen lot's on pilot bushing's so a standard tranny truck would be best but closes a cheap,easy to find purchase. Opinions?

If you can get a truck engine that was in front of a manual trans, you should be good to go with ease.
IF it is an automatic engine trans combo, just check the piolt hole to see if the trans will fit in. SOMETIMES, I have been surprised. Otherwise, a machinest will need the crank (and bushing) to drill the hole for you. (Might as well check the journals at that point and cheap goes out the window.)

I'll take any 360 education I can get. Thanks

Theres a bunch of small block guys here that are preety good and know a few things.

Tell me about your set up in the car now. Trans, rear and ratio, other mods. Etc.....

thanks, Iforgot a question. This motor that I am going to look at holley 650,open plenum intake,radical cam(we have standard brakes not vacuum) 727,stall,411 rear in a 67 dart. If it performs well, how dissapointed will I be when I put it in a 4-speed with 323's and a 308 first gear?

I have no idea how disapointed you may feel vs. what you have now.

Small tires on your car? A 650 Holley spreadbore is probably the last carb I'd use and being it is a 650 cfm carb, it tends to say one of two things about the engine.

It's posibley mismatched or the owner wanted the carb and used the Holley just to off the engine.

Get the cam specs. It may be slow outta the hole with 3.23's but have long legs up top.

Wow rumblefish you did all that while I was trying to type in my 2nd question. He knows nothing about the motor internals other than it has mp rockers and it comes to life at 3 grand. He bought car 10 years ago (supposedly fresh then) and did the cruise night thing like I do but I want to keep 323's for the odd highway run. Price could be very right for carb to pan,starter,pulleys,pumps,alt as he is going big block. Other than a flywheel and headers I would be good to go. Since it's a 1973 will I get lucky with the back of the crank? thanks

-
Back