I want a Harley some day

-
Ramcharger: beautiful KZ...That, and the Suzuki GS Katanas and GS E bikes are some of the best-looking late-'70s and '80s Japanese bikes made.

There are two types of people that ride motorcycles: motorcyclists and bikers. It's pretty easy to tell them apart. Motorcyclists are in it cause they enjoy riding, while bikers are in it cause they enjoy riding a Harley and part of the Harley "thing." There are motorcyclists that ride Harleys and it's easy to tell the Harley-riding motorcyclists from the bikers: tell them you ride something besides a Harley. If the first thing they ask you is, "why didn't you buy a harley?" it's a pretty safe bet that they're a biker and not a motorcyclist.

My dad had a Harley...Late-'70s 80-inch Shovehead. Looked like an earlier bike. I thought it looked nice but it was junk. Fine, whatever. He had a bunch of guys he rode around with, who also had Harleys. My dad unloaded his Harley and eventually picked up a Honda Shadow, which was a lot more reliable, got better gas mileage, ran a lot better, handled better and cost less...Eventually his Harley buds stopped calling him to go riding. Pretty damned lame.

Really, ride what you want but don't be a dick about it. I've enjoyed buying/fixing up/selling a few Japanese bikes over the years and will probably do it again, but I refuse to pay the Harley tax for what I consider an inferior bike. Hell, my '83 Suzuki GS1100GL regularly left Harleys in the dust, handled better, got better gas mileage, cost me all of $1,200 after purchase and fixing stuff and ran great for years.

I just don't "get" the Harley thing. It's hard to draw an analogy to mopars with Harleys cause there's actual technical merit to picking a mopar...

1. Wish I had found motorcycles before trucks, boats and race cars.
2. When i was 42 I bought a new(2000) sportster. Rode it six years and 40k mile, all the time wishing someone had talked me into the Electra glide i have now.
3.My point - take tour time and do right.

Ok i have read most all these comments about Jap bikes Harley s British bikes which i are faster more reliable and so on.My 2 cents worth is this.I love the open road the back roads
and riding with friends.I will ride with anyone any time regardless of bike type maker or style.even though i ride a 2001 Dyna Low rider and love it and have never had a problem other than forgetting that when i plug in the battery tender My dumb *** needs to turn on the switch that activates the receptical that makes it work.(you big DUMMY).That being said there are many bike from most all MFG's i like and and if i was wealthy like Jay Leno i would most certainly have a Rocket 3,Honda gold wing,Harley road glide,and old Kawasaki 750 cc H1,A yamaha RZ350,and many others.Yes once you start to ride you will find that there are a lot of nice bikes out there and they alll meet a need weather its size of motor passenger comfort driver comfort ability to let the rider to express them self.If you have a bike and ride than don't for get to wave 2 fingers down and not that i ride a scooter but don't snub them they are on 2 wheels so throw them 2 down also.Hey just remember he may have a bigger bike at home and is just out for a quick cruise down to the store.

Just m 2 cents Thanks Arco

While this thread has gotten quite a bit off topic from my original questions, you guys have brought up some good points.

Although I do have to disagree that you are just buying a name when it comes to Harley. I don't care if it's a Harley or not, there is a specific style I like and I'm not really a big fan of many other bikes. It's like saying to go buy a Nova instead of a Duster because they look similar, but Nova parts cost less. The first thing we look for in any type of vehicle are asthetics. If you think Valiant's are ugly then chances are you aren't going to go out and buy a Valiant whether its reliable or not.

I want an older bike that I can learn how to work on. I can go out and buy a reliable Honda Civic, but I don't like the way they look and I can't work on one. I don't like the way newer Harleys look in the same way I don't like the way new cars look. It's just my personal preference at this point in my life.

Ramcharger: beautiful KZ...That, and the Suzuki GS Katanas and GS E bikes are some of the best-looking late-'70s and '80s Japanese bikes made.

There are two types of people that ride motorcycles: motorcyclists and bikers. It's pretty easy to tell them apart. Motorcyclists are in it cause they enjoy riding, while bikers are in it cause they enjoy riding a Harley and part of the Harley "thing." There are motorcyclists that ride Harleys and it's easy to tell the Harley-riding motorcyclists from the bikers: tell them you ride something besides a Harley. If the first thing they ask you is, "why didn't you buy a harley?" it's a pretty safe bet that they're a biker and not a motorcyclist.

My dad had a Harley...Late-'70s 80-inch Shovehead. Looked like an earlier bike. I thought it looked nice but it was junk. Fine, whatever. He had a bunch of guys he rode around with, who also had Harleys. My dad unloaded his Harley and eventually picked up a Honda Shadow, which was a lot more reliable, got better gas mileage, ran a lot better, handled better and cost less...Eventually his Harley buds stopped calling him to go riding. Pretty damned lame.

Really, ride what you want but don't be a dick about it. I've enjoyed buying/fixing up/selling a few Japanese bikes over the years and will probably do it again, but I refuse to pay the Harley tax for what I consider an inferior bike. Hell, my '83 Suzuki GS1100GL regularly left Harleys in the dust, handled better, got better gas mileage, cost me all of $1,200 after purchase and fixing stuff and ran great for years.

I just don't "get" the Harley thing. It's hard to draw an analogy to mopars with Harleys cause there's actual technical merit to picking a mopar...

I miss my old KZ, and I keep the GS for a reason. Realize though, that the Japanese don't build them like they used to.

Ok i have read most all these comments about Jap bikes Harley s British bikes which i are faster more reliable and so on.My 2 cents worth is this.I love the open road the back roads
and riding with friends.I will ride with anyone any time regardless of bike type maker or style.even though i ride a 2001 Dyna Low rider and love it and have never had a problem other than forgetting that when i plug in the battery tender My dumb *** needs to turn on the switch that activates the receptical that makes it work.(you big DUMMY).That being said there are many bike from most all MFG's i like and and if i was wealthy like Jay Leno i would most certainly have a Rocket 3,Honda gold wing,Harley road glide,and old Kawasaki 750 cc H1,A yamaha RZ350,and many others.Yes once you start to ride you will find that there are a lot of nice bikes out there and they alll meet a need weather its size of motor passenger comfort driver comfort ability to let the rider to express them self.If you have a bike and ride than don't for get to wave 2 fingers down and not that i ride a scooter but don't snub them they are on 2 wheels so throw them 2 down also.Hey just remember he may have a bigger bike at home and is just out for a quick cruise down to the store.

Just m 2 cents Thanks Arco

In concurrence with this, and a note for the OP, I have more fun on my 50cc scooter than I've had on almost any other bike out there. I've come to the conclusion that smaller bikes are more fun, because you have a LOT less to worry about.

And I don't wave two fingers down, I wave my arms in the air over my head, like I'm on a roller coaster.

While this thread has gotten quite a bit off topic from my original questions, you guys have brought up some good points.

Although I do have to disagree that you are just buying a name when it comes to Harley. I don't care if it's a Harley or not, there is a specific style I like and I'm not really a big fan of many other bikes. It's like saying to go buy a Nova instead of a Duster because they look similar, but Nova parts cost less. The first thing we look for in any type of vehicle are asthetics. If you think Valiant's are ugly then chances are you aren't going to go out and buy a Valiant whether its reliable or not.

I want an older bike that I can learn how to work on. I can go out and buy a reliable Honda Civic, but I don't like the way they look and I can't work on one. I don't like the way newer Harleys look in the same way I don't like the way new cars look. It's just my personal preference at this point in my life.

If want something to work on you got the right bike in mind. Go get you a Harley ..... there is plenty of em out there just waiting to leave you walking! Get you some ape hangers, a billfold with a chain on it, a cigarette lit up while going down the road , tassels hanging off the handle bars, and get it out of your system. LOL

When I see a stranded biker/motorcyclist I'll stop and see if they're alright. I have NEVER stopped to check on a bike and it not be a Harley. They will look at my tank with Triumph on it and wave me "I'm fine." It isn't nothing for me to cover 500 miles in one day on a Saturday. Not bragging or anything because there are some guys that would ride more than that in a day. When I ride it is mostly in the Great Smokey Mountains in which that is where everyone goes. So I see a bunch of bikes when I ride.

I don't really care about the biker "image" at all. I just love the look of the old school bikes. I hardly ever see them around so it's not like I'll be trying to fit in with anyone. I don't want tassles or cigarettes or to hang out at biker bars or anything lol. I'd just like to cruise up through the hills once in a while to relax and enjoy the scenery. I just have my own style that I like. Hell I've been daily driving my Duster since high school. I'm sure people look at me like it's immature and say I need to get a more reliable driver, but that's never been my style. I don't like any new cars at all and I don't like new bikes either.

To me, Mopars and Harley Davidson fits pretty well. I've been around both my whole life. A 76' Shovel FLH Electraglide kicked ***. But here's my newest. I can still work on these. Newer one's are getting difficult to wrench on, but FI is nice. I miss my kicker though. Hell, knee is gone anyway.

Attachments

• 1998 Road King.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 141
I LMAO every time I'm following a bike and there's another coming- "oh....here comes the underhand wave....wait for it...wait for it...THERE IT IS!!!"

I've never understood it myself. We're both riding motorcycles so we're now somehow connected?? I don't think so. I've never done the wave and never will. Call me am asshole if you want but I don't care.

hey ya gotta love the ride when you pick it up cheap and fix it up your self... these bikes of mine were mostly paint and polishing... I don't have the KZ anymore, sure miss it. I have the Venture now, didn't come with the Hooter gals, I had to attract them over with the orange and rootbear paint job ha ha

Attachments

• DERRICKS KZ1000.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0309.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 153
I've never understood it myself. We're both riding motorcycles so we're now somehow connected?? I don't think so. I've never done the wave and never will. Call me am asshole if you want but I don't care.

Do you wave at other Mopars? I do every time I see one. Hopefully I don't look too stupid to you guys.

Well just like anything else you can make an H.D. very reliable. Here is my 1969 FLH. I've owned it since 1976. I ride it every day (weather permitting).
You can also make them run pretty good too. Here is a shot of my Sportster Super/Mod. It ran 9.30's @ 140 on all motor. This bike won 2 National Championships. My Evo powered Pro/Mod ran 8.80@ 150 also all motor.

Lovng the drag bike, I did a bit of racing myself back in the day.

I just bought my first Harley almost 2 years ago. I don't regret it for a second. Been very reliable and great on gas. It's internally balanced so it doesn't vibrate as much. I absolutely live it and ride it as much as I can. Doesn't leak a drop if oil and it's very comfortable!
2007 FXSTBi new bars, new mirrors, new seat and new exhaust

10127fb4.jpg

Great looking HD!

Thanks jtolbert! :cheers: It's got more than enough power (Andrews 1X cams, electronic ignition and a good tune). I've recently added some Terazzi rearsets to facilitate canyon carving out here in the mountains and a 1075 kit and some flatslides are in the works as well.

Mine will be paid off next month, considering trading for an RV. I barely get to ride with our weather and my work schedule. 20k miles on a 2003.
Road%20King
[/URL][/IMG]

I have been ridding a 1993 fxrp state police harley for years. I have been all over and it never let me down. Very realibale, only tires. On the 4th i went for a ride near my home. I had on tank top and shorts and no helmet. I was behind a big van
going aroung 40 mph and i looked off at something. When i looked up he had stopped for a dog. I was too close to stop and i didn't want to hit him so
i had to lay it down. It has been over a week and my skin has barley started to heal. Very very painful. I can't walk good and my shoulder is messed up. My head hit the blacktop hard and i felt a chunch. I thought
i was dead for sure but when i got up i was blood all over but not a mark or a bump on my head. I was in emergency for 7 hours with every test they could take and my head is fine. It had to be god, there is no other way to explain it. I have been ridding for 53 years and my harley is for sale. Progressive gave me over $5000. And it's not hurt too bad. I can use the money for my 67 fastback.

-
Back