I want more Hp for my 318

-
I just put a 360 in a 72 dart and you can use the same torque converter that you have as long as you get a flexplate for an externally balanced engine. I purchased a B&M flexplate from jegs

Start with the rear gears- that wakes up any engine.
For all purpose use, nothing works like 3.55 rear gears. If you have a long trip ahead throw on a tall tire. Short trip (1/4 mile) short tire. And I would suggest to keep the 318. Add a cam and up grade the rockers and push rods, you won't believe the difference. And you won't have the gas mileage of the 360.

Just a few ideas. I'd start with a re-cuvre kit for your distributor, if that doesn't get all you want, open up your exhaust maifolds by using a die grinder, or better still find a set from a 340 or 360.You could take it up a notch by having the heads decked 20 thousadnths or so,just remember to have the intake done too,or it will leak like a seive.Gasket port matching and a bowl cleanup port job also would help to wake the little motor up,and the best part is, other than the decking you can do most of this stuff on a week-end afternoon for little more han the cost of gaskets. Haven't seen anyone mention a Hughes cam yet,but if you know how your engine makes compression,they can go a long way toward really helpimg an otherwise stock engine.Just a few thoughts before you yank that 318. My first 318 was in a 74 Chaallenger,I used some of these tircks,and when I'd beat a bigger motor at the strip, the look I always got when they heard, no "it's just a 318" not a 340 or 360, was Priceless. Best of Luck and have fun with your build.

Thanks for all the posts, I think I will stay with the 318 and tinker with it. I figure its already looks and runs good, besides, it's going to be a long winter and I may learn a few things.

I am driving a 273HP mechanic cam in my 318. A 500cfm Ede, ported heads with 1.6mm compression hightening. Runs perfect.

-
Back