I want to add AC to a slant 6, but...

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently became the proud owner of a 66 valiant with no AC. Since i live in south texas, my first objective has been to get some AC in it.

I've got all parts in order, vaporator, condenser, ect. Where i'm stuck is with the compressor. When i pull up diagrams of slant 6's with a compressor, they also have extra pulleys and an additional belt. Not to mention different set ups for the original compressor and a new fangled sanden compressor. I'm not saying money is no object, but i'm really just concerned right now with the complexity of adding this extra pulley system.

So my question is this for anyone with a slant 6 and AC, do you have more pulleys and belts than a non ac slant 6? If so, could you post a picture so i see what i'm in for as far as adding a compressor to this engine.

I pulled a complete factory AC system out of a slant 6 66 Dart I parted out. No pics but I can verify that the lower pulley/balancer was a 3 groove - 2 for the alternator/AC and a single groove for the power steering. I was gonna used this set-up in my 65 Dart with a slant, but have changed my mind and am now going with a 340 (w/AC)

So... What will you be doing with the slant 6 AC pulleys? :sad5:

Sorry I didn't see your request earlier. The only slant I'm planning on running is one in my 65 Valiant convert and don't think I'll be adding "factory" air since I don't think the compressor would fit with either a dual Offy or triple SU set-up. Let me find them in my storage and I'll give you a shout.

That would be great. Actually, a member of this forum already helped me out with the idler pulley and bracket. That put me one step closer to an AC system. Unfortunately, what he didn't have was the crank pulley.

What does the pulley look like on your slant 6 with AC? How many belt grooves does it have?

Finals end on dec 14th. Then i'm coming home and i'm going to piece together what i have of my system. I'd like to find out what i'm missing so i can concentrate on that and have it together before summer comes around.

Sorry, I have been gone a couple of weeks or I would have seen this sooner.

I have a 66 Dart with factory air you can come by anytime to look at it and take pics. I pm'd you my phone number.

I recently became the proud owner of a 66 valiant with no AC. Since i live in south texas, my first objective has been to get some AC in it.

I've got all parts in order, vaporator, condenser, ect. Where i'm stuck is with the compressor. When i pull up diagrams of slant 6's with a compressor, they also have extra pulleys and an additional belt. Not to mention different set ups for the original compressor and a new fangled sanden compressor. I'm not saying money is no object, but i'm really just concerned right now with the complexity of adding this extra pulley system.

So my question is this for anyone with a slant 6 and AC, do you have more pulleys and belts than a non ac slant 6? If so, could you post a picture so i see what i'm in for as far as adding a compressor to this engine.

I just saw the pulleys and brackets for AC on a slant 6, on an Ebay auction yesterday. If you do a search there you may be able to find them. If you don`t find them under a search for (AC Mopar) look under (box lots of Mopar). Good luck.

-
Back