I want to hurt the guy!!

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I went to take the left outside mirror off my 66 Barracuda. I was going to do a little paint restoration. I got the mirror off OK. When I looked at the mount, I noticed two small straight slot screw heads holding it on. These were way too small to be the sheet metal screws I expected to find. As I loosened the rear one it just kept coming and coming. I could see it was a toggle bolt. (WTF) I got it out and started on the front one. What ever was inside the door just kept turning. I held the head with a small pair of vice grips and cut the screw with a hack saw blade. I then had to use a punch and a hammer to drive it out.(in to the inside of the door) You can see the size of the rear hole and the metal is pushed in about 3/16". The front hole sticks up about 1/8" The title says the rest.

Attachments

• mirror 002.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 530
I know the feeling. A previous owner had a vinyl top put on. They glued the stainless trim back on around the windows and it looked like they used a ball peen hammer to put the window trim in place.

That must've been an aftermarket mirror?? I believe you should have a twin post mirror!

66 should be like this.

Attachments

• 20140220_124547.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 355
It is a single post mirror. It appears to be fairly period correct. It is cleaning up and will be just fine for a driver.

Let's face it. Unless it was a Hemi Cuda sealed in a time capsule with only enough mileage to get it home from the dealer, we're dealing with used and (too often) abused cars. If they weren't wrecked, they were neglected. By the time a lot of these cars were seven years old, they could be bought by someone making burger flipper's wages. At this income and expertise level, fast and cheap are the operant words that describe repairs. Someone wants a '64 Valiant wagon as a collector car? Hah!

I know that finding out a previous owner cobbled a repair is a PITA. It could be worse. Most of us who started out with a project car have stories that would astonish you. I've come to regard these kinds of things as risks I assume when I buy someone else's stuff. Every time I encounter one, I get to decide will I chunk the project or will I pull up my big boy pants and get after it.

My 73 Dart had a hole in the floor on the driver's side that I knew about. When stripping the car for painting, I found a similar hole on the passenger's side. The thing that really frosted me was finding the roof was holier than the Pope, had been filled in with Great Stuff (spray foam insulation), and covered with bed liner. The floor hole I knew about, I bought a pan for it. The roof, I totally re-skinned. The hole I didn't know about, I fixed with aircraft adhesive, a handful of screws, and sheet metal provided by the local municipality (found in ditch).

I used to think that vinyl tops were cool. Not any more. I wouldn't mind if I hurt the guy who thought they were such a good idea. Ruined a bunch of cars by trapping water and rusting the roofs if you ask me. Grumble, grumble, *****, razzlefratz.

Attachments

• 18f5_0.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_5078s.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCN2080s.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 315
It is a single post mirror. It appears to be fairly period correct. It is cleaning up and will be just fine for a driver.

My '66 has a single post remote mirror. Does yours look like this one?

Attachments

• remote mirror on car.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 204
  • remote mirror on car 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 216
  • remote mirror toggle.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 198
-
Back