I was impressed

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last fall when I put the cars up for the winter, I had to put my Duster outside under 2 car covers due to the couple of jobs we had coming in over the winter. Don't like doing that but what can you do. I parked it along side the garage. Sometime over the winter it must have gotten pretty windy and we have 3 of the big garbage cans. One of them must have overturned into the side of the Duster. I pulled the covers off last week and saw 2 dents about the size of a quarter over the rear wheel where the can had hit it. I was sick. literally weak at the knees. I just knew we were going to have to do some body work and paint half the car again. Tyler told me about a guy who comes to the shop all the time just for that reason. Works for a company, Dentsmart. I called him up and he came all the way out to the house from Cincinnati. I watched him push these dents out of the side of the car from inside of the trunk. One of the dents had a crease in it and I didn't think it would work. It took him about an hour and when he was done, you cannot tell there were any dents anywhere. I was impressed. Cost.....$300. Couldn't have bought the paint for that. Never cracked the paint or anything.

We do that a lot in the collision shops these days. They have been doing this type of repair for awhile with hail, door dings and such.. it's very reasonable and if they are good it's never seen.

I've heard/read about so-called paintless dent removal, but have never seen it done. How do they do it?

I've heard/read about so-called paintless dent removal, but have never seen it done. How do they do it?

They can do it from the back or the front. On the front they basically hot glue a cup with a slide hammer fitting on it and pull it out. The inner more common way is they have a bunch of small and large tools. They basically look like pry rods but flex a little. They put a light up to the side of the car and watch the reflection as they push the dents out. It's really neat to watch a someone really good at it. They use it a lot on hail damage.

He was a little skeptical that the dents would come out because the older metal was thicker but he also said that the older metal was easier to work with. I was worried about the crease in the one but he kept working it and it came right out. When he started tapping on the outside with the little hammer, I was about to question what he was doing but he told me that the hammer was a special plastic they use and it wouldn't hurt the paint. It was a real neat thing to watch and I would suggest it to anyone who has a dent they don't want to fill.

He was a little skeptical that the dents would come out because the older metal was thicker but he also said that the older metal was easier to work with. I was worried about the crease in the one but he kept working it and it came right out. When he started tapping on the outside with the little hammer, I was about to question what he was doing but he told me that the hammer was a special plastic they use and it wouldn't hurt the paint. It was a real neat thing to watch and I would suggest it to anyone who has a dent they don't want to fill.
I'm in SE Indiana. Do you have a contact # or link I can reach this guy?

yes, his name is Jeff Gatchett. phone # is 513-404-1597. This is his cell #, not the company. Tell him I am the guy with the purple Duster he just did. you may have to meet him because of his location or he may come to you. But he is good.

yes, his name is Jeff Gatchett. phone # is 513-404-1597. This is his cell #, not the company. Tell him I am the guy with the purple Duster he just did. you may have to meet him because of his location or he may come to you. But he is good.
Thank You Very Much!!

The older metal, being thicker, is a LOT harder to work. However, since it is thicker it also has a better "memory" and wants to go back and stay back like it was more than the new thinner metal. It is impressive that he was able to get the dents smooth.

I was impressed. I was real happy that we didn't have to buy another stripe kit, sand down both quarters and roof and repaint the car.

You work hard on your cars and it shows! Glad you were able to get a repair that worked out for you that was almost painless. Well, $300 dollars worth anyway.

I have a dent like a pimple sticking out it was from inside the trunk, I wonder if they can do these things?

I'm down here in south Florida, and I have seen a few dents removed on new cars this way and you could not tell. Great thread. I was wondering if it could be done on old cars

-
Back