I wish i had the money for this.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know where theres one of those cars hiding in a garage down the road from me

...This has a Hemi 4 speed box, Mopar Performance disc brake kit, 304 K member, later Duster type buckets, an 8 3/4 posi with 4:11 gears. You need to see it in person and see all that is included with it to get a fair assessment of what you are getting. Car has not been on the street since 1982 other than when it was moved in and out of the garage. He has had it since the mid 70's and has realized he just will never get to finish it and would like to get some space back in his garage. I can email more pics if you want something specific

Could anyone kind enough explain to me what "...This has a Hemi 4 speed box..." mean? Is that different the A 833 4-speed?

Thats an AWESOME find!! I'd like to see the fender tag & VIN. If its legit and solid, thats a GEM... Red 1968 383-S fastback, 4-speed with console, deluxe interior, woodgrain wheel, 150mph speedo... Does anyone know what kind of wheel is on the left front? Looks vintage.

i could walk to that car,,and ive never seen or heard of it,,,

the rims your asking about are radir,,,and the name has been bought and brought back to life,,,but i dont think they build small bolt pattern rims these days,,,not sure if they are small bolt or not on this car,,,prettty intresting find tho

those rims can be found on a lot of old school hot rods,,,street rods and rat rods i tried to have them make me rims the size i need,,,no deal lol

i could walk to that car,,and ive never seen or heard of it,,,

the rims your asking about are radir,,,and the name has been bought and brought back to life,,,but i dont think they build small bolt pattern rims these days,,,not sure if they are small bolt or not on this car,,,prettty intresting find tho

those rims can be found on a lot of old school hot rods,,,street rods and rat rods i tried to have them make me rims the size i need,,,no deal lol

Wish I was closer to go check it out in person. Never heard of those rims. Pretty cool.

Wish I was closer to go check it out in person. Never heard of those rims. Pretty cool.

those rims were used on the munsters couch and i think on the orignal bat mobile from TV,,, and probably the monkee mobile,, tons of george barris ccars

I looked at the car last night and will make him an offer today. It was a hot rod back in the day when no one cared much about factory cars.

Missing items:
Big Block K-frame
Exhaust manifolds
Fender tag
Console
Seats
Hood

Much of this went missing when his parents moved where he had a lot of parts.

Body is solid, but covered in surface rust. It was stripped and left outside about 30 years ago.

Needs patches in the quarters, rockers, fenders and floors

I don't know if it is a Hemi box or not, but it is an A-body four speed and I did not think they ever made the course spline trans with a short tailshaft.

Other than the transmission it is supposed to have a 4:11 sure grip, but I did not crawl under there and check.

There is some kind of Direct Connection disc brake kit, but it looks like the factory stuff to me.

He only has the one vintage wheel.

This will be the most ambitious project I've ever considered.

i dont know that they ever made a production hemi A body box but they werer made for the 68 super stock darts and barracudas,,,so they are a few around,,,numbers on the box should tell the tale i would think,,,but im not in to that number game,,, and the term HEMI box is thrown around as loosly as the term RARE is,,,gtood luck if u make a deal,,some one needs to save this car,,,restored or hot rodded,,,

The owner is a nice guy and not trying to scam anyone, but he got a few things wrong so I'm not counting on anything until I see it myself. I told him what I thought the car would be worth completed and what it would take to get it there, but finding the missing parts will be very challenging to say the least.

Hopefully I'll post up here in the next few days with pictures of it in my garage.

This one would be a restoration. Besides, it will make up for hot rodding my Valiant.

When I squinted I swear I could see it finished. But being that a lot of the high dollar parts are missing I might have to put it together with conversion mounts and headers until they are located. I don't dare hope there's still a build sheet in there somewhere, but I could get lucky.

Still, I'm getting ahead of myself. Hopefully he and I can make a deal and I can start to get busy.

not that it would matter to me,,but have you seen proof that itys a real big block 4 speed car???? good luck on ur offfer,,,

He's got the title and that matches the VIN on the dash. I could not find any numbers on the radiator support or along the trunk opening. Any suggestions on where else to look?

i dont know any thing about decoding the vin,,,it should tell u if its a big block car,,,but if its a 383 car ,it would be slower then a 340 car,,,the factory exhaust manifolds on those cars were really restritive, i knew a guy that had 3 factory 383 formula s barracudas, nose heavy and slow,,,but still if its a real bb car 383 S ??? its rare,,,the 69 S car had a specific rear trunk lid trim panel,,super hard to find used,,,i dont think the 68 did,,,weird that the bb K frame is gone,,,

somne one on this board should know where to look for the numbers,,,but may not get back to you before u buy the car,,and if its not a true bb car,,that may work to your advantage in the price offer,,, ask around on moparts or do a google search 68 barracuda vin tag,, or big block car see what comes up,,

depending when or if you get it,,im super close to there i may be able to help you load the car or what ever,,,

Thanks, I appreciate the help. The VIN is indeed for a 383 car, but all I really know is that the VIN on the dash is for a 383 formula S. What's really weird is the picture below is of a car I had in High School. It was a 69 340 Formula S with a 383.

69_Cuda.JPG

i dont know if 340 or 383 S trim is different,,but the 69 383 S trunk trim is black with a black S badge on the right lower corner,,,wheres that car now??

wow thats awesome fzmax I hope you pick this beauty up and restore it to its glory. I will feel really happy If I somehow passed it to someone who is going to give it the attention it deserves!

Man I wish I knew. I paid $500 for that blue car without an engine in 78. It had the 4-speed, 8 3/4 with 4:10's, big block fenderwell headers, and a ton of other hot rod stuff. I sold it less than a year later to buy a 71 340 4-speed Cuda. That was probably the nicest car I ever owned and I don't have a single picture of it.

I just got off the phone with the guy. I gave him my offer and he's going to think about it. I'm looking at it as if it's a real Formula S, but everything on the car, like the 340, the rear and the transmission all need to be rebuilt before they have any value. It would take me forever and cost a fortune, but it would be quite bitchin' when done.

wow thats awesome fzmax I hope you pick this beauty up and restore it to its glory. I will feel really happy If I somehow passed it to someone who is going to give it the attention it deserves!

Thanks, me too. I had seen the ad before I saw it here, but didn't want to share it. I know I was being selfish, but I'd never be able to buy a finished one and didn't want someone to sweep it away. Hopefully we can come to terms, the thought of having that thing in my garage makes me run around the house like Beavis.

Alot of people assume that all big blocks had 18 spline hemi 4 speeds behind them; it's funny how people hear something offhand a few times and then it becomes fact.

If it's an A-body trans it's most likely a 23 spline. It's possible that a hemi box was modified with an A-body tail shaft and housing for it, but I would doubt it.

Either way, that's a hell of a deal. if it was closer I'd be next in line to pay cash for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back