Iam having trouble with my 273 v/8 and a push button tranmission

-

alcronk

Valiant64
Reaction score
I am new to the mopar car hobby and i am having problems with the engine in my 1964 valiant.We try and get it to crank but we can not get it to move It seems as the motor is seized But i have just bought a owners manual and it states the motor will not crank unless the transmission is in neutral and the park lever is in the lock position As this is my first car with a push button transmission Can anyone tell me the correct steps to take to try and find out if this motor will move or is it seized .THANKS for your time in this matter any help would be welcomed

\3 V8

You can actually get under the car and move the shifting lever on the transmission to the center position ( 3rd click either way is neutral). Once you`ve done that, move to the front of the engine and put a wrench on the large bolt inside the pulley on the crankshaft. Give it a turn clockwise and see if the crank rotates. It`ll be tough because you`re turning the entire workings of the motor over. If you can turn it over you should be okay and you can look elsewhere for problems. There`s a neutral safety switch that may have gone bad as well so you might check that too.

How long have you had the car? When was the last time it was started? I'm sure one of our Many members can help you out brah.

From your BC bro

mike

So,you bought it like that or it just started doing it?

On my 273 I can reach down behind the radiator, grab ahold of the vibration dampener, and turn the engine over by hand. You should at least be able to get it to rotate a little bit one direction or the other.

If I recall correctly the engine will crank in "N" whether the park lever is down or not.

Try this;
if the alternator fan belt is tight you should be able to turn the engine over,
by grabbing the fan blade, make sure the battery is unhooked.

I had a Mopar 30 years ago; the negative battery cable had gone bad,
it looked good, but was corroded under the plastic cover, so bad it would not let the engine turn over.The headlights were bright, but the current draw for a starter is much more than headlights.

looking at your other post-- what have you done to this set-up? have you tried any of the remedies yet? how does the motor look/ if it was inside-- this thing should not be a problem----
Post some details of what you have tried & members can help you.

remove the spark plugs(spray pbblaster/rust eater in each hole)
put 2 bolts in the balancer
use pry bar to slowly rock the motor back & forth
enough suggestions have been made for a rust eating solution
once motor starts to move --slowly work it-- should move a little more each time
if the motor does not move -- you will have to tear down for inspection-- it most likley has contact rust in the cylinders from no lubrication all those years.

as for your tranny---- you should be able to manually turn the motor over- regardless of it.
the park lever should kind of snaps into place--- actually on that tranny the park lever is connected to a rooster comb that locks the tranny--- it already is in neutral.
post some of your detail work & we can help.
Lawrence

-
Back