ID 62 Valiant carb

-

ValiantDevin

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a Carter BBS, but is there a way to tell if it is original (or period correct) for 1962 Valiant 200 190/6. So far the only issue with fuel that I can tell is a hesitation from idle to acceleration. Read that it is probably a Accel pump issue. Once I know what I have, I can deal with it. Thanks.

Attachments

• valiant carb1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 108
  • valiant carb2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 105
  • valiant carb3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 101
  • valiant carb4.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 89
  • valiant carb5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 126
Carter BBS 3230s is correct for '62 Valiant with auto trans. Looks like a kit has been installed recently. The throttle shaft may need to be rebushed. A common wear issue on Carter carbs. Could be a bad accel pump also. May just need another kit installed.

I took an air cleaner like yours, modified the base and made it a drop base to work under the hood on my '65 Valiant.

Yep, congratulations, that's the correct carb for your '62 non-PCV Valiant. Whew, dodged a bullet there! That's also the 1962-only/170-only unsilenced air cleaner -- a not-very-smart idea they thought better of in '63. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Thanks for the help, now I'm getting greedy and curious. What does the "H1" on the tag in the forth picture indicate?

I'm planning on getting the Walker kit 15483A. From what I understand, re-bushing is a bit more intense, probably check out someone local for that.

15483A is an OK kit. I like the inlet needle/seat design better that you get in the kit from www.daytonaparts.com . None of the kits includes a real float gauge any more, you just get a useless strip of paper. :-(

"H1" is not meaningful to us, it's just an inter-factory code, probably for a shift/production line indication.

Sent www.daytonaparts.com a request for info/ordering. From what I've read about the company, they have awesome products, but haven't flipped the bill for a super ordering experience. Gotta love companies who don't bow to the Amazon way of consumerism and just do what they do.

-
Back