ID help

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
So a little while back, my brother says that I can have his old duster, a 440 conversion '70 he bought. And before anyone asks, I have no clue if it runs, i'm not going to make it my project, and no, i'm not selling it.
Well, I decided to take him up on this, and I was thinking a 440 car would have a good rear end; looking under it, it looks like an 8 3/4, but i'm not sure.
View attachment rearend.jpg
Theres something else weird too, Theres two tags on it, the first being the gearing tag 2:93, on the right side. Then this one, marked 995(6?)1
View attachment rearend tag.jpg
Anyone know what that is? And am I correct in saying its an 8 3/4?

be glad its NOT a 7 1/4. i had two i bought new brake the spider gears. 80 K / 120 K

Yeah, I have a 7 1/4 in my dart now, and I figure if i'm going to spend the money on new gears, I might as well have a better rearend to show for it.

dont forget if you go from a 7 1/4 to a 8 1/4. the driveshaft will need to be shorter. when i did mine the salvage yard had the one that fit.

Here's an ID chart.........

https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...urogSbwoHgAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1138&bih=511

An 8 3/4 is the ONLY Mopar axle with a drop out center section or "third member"

You have an 8 1/4 there, not a bad rear for a mild car, it might not last long with a 440 LOL

Easy to tell if you have a Sure Grip. Jack up one wheel, put the gearbox in neutral and make sure the parking brake is off. If you can turn the one tire, it's an "open" rear axle.

I have no room in the shed to jack it up, I crawled under the car from the front to get that picture, theres inches inbetween the other sides. So can nobody tell me what that tag is? It's going to drive me crazy, I don't think it's a sure grip tag, but I might be wrong (hopefully?) because i see no "use x fluid" tag.

Also, the column shift isn't hooked up, I think. Most of the car is in the cabin.

-
Back