ID tag under hood on weel well 64 cuda

-

Garry

Reaction score
Any body know if those were painted over with the car originally, or are they that plated silver color I see underneath. All I have seen in the past were the color of the car (most likely not removed when repainted). Not sure though. Thanks in advance for any replies, and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Fender tag is what you're asking about?

I can't speak for 64, but on my 74 it's painted body color, original paint too.

I think they are silver tags affixed, then painted along with rest of body, thats why the numbers are stamped. not printed. Mine was black along with the car.

I had a guy who claimed to have worked on the assembly line tell me the fender tag was installed with one screw and then bent up at about a 45 degree angle so the tag and the inner fender got paint. They were then supposed to have been bent back down after the pant was applied and the other screw installed, but that did not happen a lot so the dealer was to do that if it was missed at the plant.

Mine is painted the body color also, and it's original paint.

I had a guy who claimed to have worked on the assembly line tell me the fender tag was installed with one screw and then bent up at about a 45 degree angle so the tag and the inner fender got paint. They were then supposed to have been bent back down after the pant was applied and the other screw installed, but that did not happen a lot so the dealer was to do that if it was missed at the plant.
That makes sense, but did the dealers have the paint to do it? Anyone find primer under their original tags? Also the last screw would still be bare.

-
Back