Identify This Part Please!

-

vanleer mopars

Mopar or no car!
Reaction score
Hello Mopar World
I checked the fluid level in this container but not sure what it is! Can anyone inform me what this part is, and what I need to refill it with? The top of the cap is worn off and don’t know what fluid to add to make it back to the line it requires.
Thank you for your time
Van Leer Mopars

Attachments

• Part identify.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 426
Yeah - what he said...At least you asked....

My oldest son has watched me tinker around the garage for 16 yrs... Not until last year when he showed a real interest and we brought home his 65 B'cuda, did I realize I never really "taught" him anything about my car habit... So for all intense purposes, he's a newbie to the hobby and is learning a LOT of terminology and a LOT of stuff from asking those very same "what is this part?" questions....

Now tell us what car that part is on vanleer....

Thanks all I needed, as u can tell I am a newbie, this car is 10 years older than me and trying to understand the makeup and mechanism that make it work.

Cool, have any pics of the car? Great to see young guns in the hobby, always good to ask questions, don't be shy :glasses7:

Yeah just posted photos in members gallery, before pics of restoration process. It currentley my daily driver, just having problems though with timing, float, and choke, I posted another question in the Slant 6 forum, hopefully I can get it resolved!

Yeah just posted photos in members gallery, before pics of restoration process. It currentley my daily driver, just having problems though with timing, float, and choke, I posted another question in the Slany 6 forum, hopefully I can get it resolved!

youd be suprised how many slanty guys there are here. we probably would have already answered your questions :D

I have to tell you guys a story, many years ago when we bought my oldest son his first car i showed him where every thing was . oil, p/s fluid ,trans fluid and antifreeze. and how to put it in when needed.
One day I came home from work and there was oil all over the drive way under his car ,I asked him what happened and he preceeded to tell me that he checked the oil and it was low so he put the funnel over the oil dipstick and tried pouring the oil down it. I laughed so fricking hard that I could not get mad at him. I then reminded him that you only pour trans fluid down the dipstick tube,the oil goes in the hole in the valve cover.

we laugh every time this comes up.

Moral of the story is there is no such thing as a stupid question every body has to learn some time..

Bob

Yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question. But when asking questions you have to be willing to accept the fact that the question you just asked may or may not be stupid. I personally have my share of stupid questions.

Asking what fluid goes into the pictured part is a good question and I don't think anyone ever actually said what fluid to use. If it is tan you use power steering fluid. If it is red it has transmission fluid in it. If it is trans fluid use some labeled as dexron 3 you don't need anything fancy like merc 5 or dex 6.

I do have a question for the original poster "where is your battery at?"

Not sure anyone clearly answered the guy. It is a power steering pump and you use power steering fluid in it. Many use transmission fluid in them also dex/merc since both are a hydraulic fluid. But recommend sticking with P/S fluid. If it is not leaking do not add one with a stop leak additive in it. If it is leaking best to fix the leak (normally high pressure hose, one without the clamp) than add a stop leak to it.

Thanks Rocky js, I put some power steering fluid in it and its good to go now, I was wondering why it was making noises while I made a sharp turn. It was bone dry none even on the fluid stick, I will monitor it to see if I have a possible leak. But sounds 100% better. Thanks

Thanks Rocky js, I put some power steering fluid in it and its good to go now, I was wondering why it was making noises while I made a sharp turn. It was bone dry none even on the fluid stick, I will monitor it to see if I have a possible leak. But sounds 100% better. Thanks

If the PS pump was "bone dry", you most likely have a leak.

Best way to check is to have someone inside the car while it's running and turn the steering wheel lock to lock while someone else is under the hood. PS leaks typically show up under pressure. Good Luck :cheers:

If you have to replace it,I bought a rebuild kit from O'Reillys or Advance not sure wich one but that is a chrysler pump NOT a saginaw.So either way you need a chrysler pump and if you go the rebuild route rent the pully puller that removes and replaces the pully,you will need that one.
BTW the kit was under $20 bucks and it is still leak free.

Hey believe this or not. Another mechanic who is in business called my buddy an inmport mechanic (hey he drives a 62 Desota) Anyway this other guy calls my buddy to ask about the "electric turbo" on this VW. So being confused and wanting to see an electric turbo went to his garage to see....an emissions air pump! And this guy has an inspection station! I remember not knowing anything. I know it was just yesterday but we all start somewhere. Stick with FABO Vanleer...these guys help me all the time!

Thanks everyone for your help, I rather asked here, you guys are very knowledgable. Also fixed the weber choke problem and timing as well with other post through the slant 6 thread. Thanks again, you will be hearning from me more later on when I encounter a problem.

Also mcnoople the battery is in trunk, someone throughout the years decided to run it from there. Not sure why but they did.

Putting the battery in the trunk is generally done to take some weight off the front end; it's not much, but every bit helps on the track and with street handling. Just make sure that it was done right.

-
Back