Identify this tranny?

-

19DodgeDemon72

1972 Demon Resto-Mod
Reaction score
?hash=4b2ce9c6506fa683e736d4c46170a2ad.jpg

1000000184.jpg

Last edited:
Is that an A body case? I don't remember where the trans mount is compared to B and E.

Not an A body, but it is indeed an A230. Tail shaft is too long for an A body.

Do people use these on a bodies or not practical? Any information is very much welcome.
Yes, A bodies came with their own version, which has a shorter tail shaft than yours does. But from the main case forward, it's essentially the same transmission.

340 and 400 four barrel came with a close ratio gearset.
For slant sixes and 318
1st 3.08
2nd 1.7
3rd 1.0
R 2.9

for 340 and 400s
1st 2.55
2nd 1.49
3rd 1
R 3.34

Internet Lore tells of an A-230 challeger transmission (maybe part of the direct connection kit car program, but fiction unless I see one firsthand!) with 2.25 first gear and 1.49 second. The close ratio A230 would be good for drag racing if it could be outfitted with a functional reverse lockout.

340 and 400 four barrel came with a close ratio gearset.
For slant sixes and 318
1st 3.08
2nd 1.7
3rd 1.0
R 2.9

for 340 and 400s
1st 2.55
2nd 1.49
3rd 1
R 3.34

Internet Lore tells of an A-230 challeger transmission (maybe part of the direct connection kit car program, but fiction unless I see one firsthand!) with 2.25 first gear and 1.49 second. The close ratio A230 would be good for drag racing if it could be outfitted with a functional reverse lockout.
My interest is peaking now.

Looks like an A body A 230 to me, The shifter mount is behind the crossmember mount. I think the picture angle is making the tailshaft look longer than it is.

If you can measure the tailshaft.... I have one of these transmissions out of the car, I will post a pic of the one I have after work.

My bet is that is 100% A body

Looks like an A body A 230 to me, The shifter mount is behind the crossmember mount. I think the picture angle is making the tailshaft look longer than it is.

If you can measure the tailshaft.... I have one of these transmissions out of the car, I will post a pic of the one I have after work.

This might be a better angle for it. Thank you so much for the info!

PXL_20240207_203704576.jpg

I recently met a distant neighbor who bought a new '71 340 Duster "grandma appearing car" with a hurst shifted A230 close ratio and optioned with 3.91 sure grip. Medium brown car with cream beige 340 callout stickers and stripe package, brown bench seat interior, rubber floormat, radio delete, all manual car and then day two'd it with headers, intake, cam. etc. He stated that it surprised a lot of people who claimed to have "fast" cars, lol!

I recently met a distant neighbor who bought a new '71 340 Duster "grandma appearing car" with a hurst shifted A230 close ratio and optioned with 3.91 sure grip. Medium brown car with cream beige 340 callout stickers and stripe package, brown bench seat interior, rubber floormat, radio delete, all manual car and then day two'd it with headers, intake, cam. etc. He stated that it surprised a lot of people who claimed to have "fast" cars, lol!
if you have a 3.08 1st and are quick on the pedals you can catch a lot of fools napping.

my buddy has a rambler wagon with a 200 6 and 3 on the tree and that thing will straight run you in a long city block. it's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it's super fun to jam out on the "my cam sounds cool" ding-dongs.

Very valid point. You might be right. Maybe @BrianT could get a measurement on his from the main case to the back of the tail shaft? Then he could compare.

-
Back