identifying a formula s car

-

RJG

Reaction score
I have a '65 Formula S with severely damaged (not vrey legible) fender tag. The vin shows it as a v8. It has the tach, and fender emblems. The rear cowl does not have a cutout for a resinator (currently the car has dual pipes). I've heard mixed coments on weather all Formula S cars had that cutout.
It is an awesome restomod, so it has slightly built 360ci, upgraded front disk brakes, suspension, sway bars, 8 3/4 sure track.
I don't have reason to believe it is not a formula s, but am wondering if there is a way to varify.
Anybody have a thought on the matter?
rjg

If you can read your fender tag - maybe from the back side - on the 3rd line down - the ABC line - under the AB will read 31 (273 4 barrel) and under the C will be a 2 indicating Formula S package. It could also be a 5 under the C which indicates Performance Package (273 4 barrel, suspension package and power brakes which would not make it a Formula S

You can get Chrysler Historical to decode the car for $45 if you don't have the build sheet or data plate. They will do this for cars up to 1967 providing you have the VIN & proof or ownership.

even the Rallye Pack cars ( non Formula S- with Commando) Had the cut out for resonator- been told it did not have bright work on tip- just black paint- the one I had in the early 80s was that way- and maybe the Valiant non Signets- my 65 100 in 1966 had black not bright-

The 273HP cars in 65 all had the cutout weather an S or not. I would think that panel was changed on your car or it is a tribute/clone build. Without the cutout factory it would have been a 2bbl 273 or a /6 build.

You can get Chrysler Historical to decode the car for $45 if you don't have the build sheet or data plate. They will do this for cars up to 1967 providing you have the VIN & proof or ownership.

Thank you much for that info. I have just sent a request form to them.
rjg

The 273HP cars in 65 all had the cutout weather an S or not. I would think that panel was changed on your car or it is a tribute/clone build. Without the cutout factory it would have been a 2bbl 273 or a /6 build.

Yep, I hope the build card can show the facts. The car has correct 'S' emblems, tach, floor trim plate by accelerator pedal. Some older pictures show these things in the car before it was restored (when it was being used to race). Because this car has been well used, it is possible that the rear cowl has been replaced. At one point the car had a hemi with fender pipes, then a built 360 with Dougs headers. She has seen modifications.

Take it for a test drive and get on it real hard. See how that "S" car goes.... (Get it - escargot... LOL!)

-
Back