IDing a 360 converter

-

1973Barracuda

Reaction score
OK, this is my first 360, I just pulled the tranny off the block and don't see a weight on the converter. I am correct that it should have a welded weight somewhere, right? There is a very small piece of metal on the outside diameter(if that makes any sense). But I don't think I would consider it a weight. Can somebody help a fellow out(maybe a pic)? Want to make sure I have the right converter.

Jason

can you get a pic of what you have? was this motor and trans ever apart? maybe it has a B&M flex plate on it?

I'm interested as well, I have a couple convertors sitting around and have no idea how big or where a wieght would be located if it were from/for a 360 setup.

I'll take a couple pix of mine tomorrow and post em here as well

I bought it with a JY 904 hooked up to it. So they were just temporarily mated to get the car running. It was in a A body Barracuda. I have a feeling it is not the right converter. I finally found a few pics of 360 converters and they had weights on the front. Thoughts?

Jason

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

Would have helped if I took a pic of the front of the converter, huh? Duh

I have a pic of my Converter with the weight on it for a externally balanced 360... its a big weight.... I opted to cut the weight off and buy the B&N externally balanced flex plate for a 360.... the one in your thread is a netural balanced flax plate.... if u know that converter is for a 727 and it doesnt have weight on it, then just but the B&N flex plate and be done with it....

USCG, ABJ, thanks for the responses. That is a large weight on there. Guess I will be buying a new flex plate, or.........................using this as an excuse to buy a new converter. Hmmmmmmmm
Was hoping to avoid these extra costs because I will be doing the 518 swap in my 73 hopefully this summer.

Jason

No, so I can assume I need the new flex plate, or a new converter. Probably do the flex plate since I plan on the 518 swap. I am assuming that this looks like a stock 904 TC, right?

yea it looks stock to me. and yea probably better to just get the flex plate.

i think MP used to sell a weight kit for converters.. think it came with a template and the weight. just weld it on and your good to go. may be cheaper then the flexplate

second try. not a great pic, but....

View attachment 136642
OK, this is my first 360, I just pulled the tranny off the block and don't see a weight on the converter. I am correct that it should have a welded weight somewhere, right? There is a very small piece of metal on the outside diameter(if that makes any sense). But I don't think I would consider it a weight. Can somebody help a fellow out(maybe a pic)? Want to make sure I have the right converter.

Jason
Ok from the factory there were 2 converters used on 360's up to 1976.
A: It was classified as an 11" converter. It has a wide ring gear (about 1") with two weights welded on the engine side. Weights are 1.62" x .75" x .380"
B: Classified as a 12" converter. This one has a narrow ring gear (about 1/2") with two weights, same as the 11" unit.

The 360/727 converter with the large tri-angular weight(120 grams) from 1977 and up.
360/904 converters also had this large weight.
The 400 engine also used a large tri-angular weight, but it weighed only 100 grams.

The converter in your photo is not for a 360.

Well then if that's not a 360 convertor, its in the wrong transmission as that's a transmission for a small block engine and if that convertor fits that transmission its a 727 transmission which only leaves two possibilities... the convertor is for a 360 or its for a big block with a cast crank and in the wrong 727 transmission.

In 1973 Barracudas' first post he says that he pulled the trans off a 360. In post #4 he says it's a JY904 transmission, so that tells me that would be a 12" 904 converter(no weights on the front of it) for a 318 small block. His photos do not show the transmission, only the front side and hub side of the converter, and the back-side of the engine with the flex plate attached to the crank.
The photo in post #16 by daliant shows where the weights are for a 360 converter. But also the cast crank 440 and 400 converters also have two small weights welded in the same spots as a 360 converter. The difference is in the weight and size of the weights for each application.

Transman, what would the differences be between the weights for a 360 and a cast crank 340?

Transman, what would the differences be between the weights for a 360 and a cast crank 340?
340: The two factory weights measure .88" x .62" x .177". They are equally spaced away from the drain plug.
360: Same 2 weights equally spaced away from the drain plug, however they are larger 1.62" x .75" x .380". 77 Up 360 had 1 large tri-angular weight.

-
Back