Idle goes bad on TQ

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I seem to have this recurring problem with the TQs on my LA engines, wherein I'll get it running really nice, with a nice idle, and it passes its smog test with flying colors. Then a couple of weeks or a month later it starts dumping too much fuel into the engine at idle, so it idles too fast and rough. The fuel bowl wells are intact and the engines don't hydrolock, so I think something is wrong with the idle circuit, maybe? Too much of the transfer slot exposed? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

it starts dumping too much fuel into the engine at idle, so it idles too fast and rough.
IF the carb was dumping fuel,
with no other changes,the idlespeed would slow down
NOT speed up
UNLESS, it was very very lean to start with.

But if the advance mech was sticking;
with no other changes, the idlespeed would increase, and run smooth

But if the secondaries were not closing properly
the idle speed would probably slow down and run rough.

But if the primary throttles were not returning to the stop
the idle speed would increase and run smooth, just fast.

So, Ima trying to think of a single issue that could cause BOTH rough idle And higher than normal idle ........... and I can't; but

You might be on to something with the transfer slot exposure, in conjunction with a throttle that does not always park in the same spot.

But I would suspect a faulty PCV system first, possibly in conjunction with a too-large transfer exposure. If your ignition timing is more than stock, then I can almost guarantee that the transfer exposure will be too small. And vice-versa
But wait;
I seem to have this recurring problem with the TQs on my LA engines,
Are we talking multiple TQs on multipe engines? Or the same TQ on a different engine?

Last edited:
Might consider dirt in the fuel system. Dirt in the tank? How old are the filters, in tank and in line?

first thing I would look at would be float level, could be a sticky float causing the bowls to overfill and spill out. Pretty common

-
Back