Idle help

-
Reaction score
Engine: 340, .484 mopar cam, 650 speed demon, edelbrock ld340 intake, headers, x heads.

Trans: 727 with 3200 stall converter, standard valve body.

Car is idling at about 2000 when in park, but put it in gear, and it idles nice and crisp at 850. When trying to accelerate, if I go hammer time on the gas, it will go and do a burnout or full throttle launch just fine. If I try to ease onto the throttle, the car just shuts off.

Throw some ideas at me :)

Thanks!

Im far from a expert but you need a good tune up. Also what carb and gears do you have.

Why is it idleing a 2,000 out of gear? Your most likely not on the idle circuit.

Not near enough for a 484 camshaft.

Turn it up to 20-22 and limit mechanical in distributor to hit your total number. Anything else and you are chasing your tail.

Could have a vacuum leak as well.

You dont happen to have a open vacuum port on the carb do you? Just double check to make sure.

Only reason I ask is because I forgot to hook up my PCV once and it idled at about 1500. I could not figure out why I couldnt back it down. Dumb me.. I forgot to hook it back up!

You dont happen to have a open vacuum port on the carb do you? Just double check to make sure.

Only reason I ask is because I forgot to hook up my PCV once and it idled at about 1500. I could not figure out why I couldnt back it down. Dumb me.. I forgot to hook it back up!

I think we narrowed it down to a leaky base gasket. The one under the carb spacer want looking the greatest.

I took it off, rejetting, then we will see how it works.

Thanks!

-
Back