Idle Position sensor replacemenf

-

19Dart74

Reaction score
I noticed that I need an idle position solenoid on my 318 small block. I have a factory 2 barrel carb. I can't seem to find a listed replacement. I have a 74 Dart. Are some solenoids universal or am I missing something?

I doubt you really "need" it. You don't have to tune for passing emissions over there do you? Most cars did not have them. It is likely the carb has a "normal" curb idle screw, just set the idle there. And if you have not, bump the timing up a few degrees. AKA if it is all stock look at the sticker and add 5 advanced

This is great information, thank you! No, Montana has no emmision laws yet. There is an idle screw on the carb as well. This being known, do I need the TPS sensor unit considering this is what runs to the solenoid?

It's not a "TPS' like the new cars have. It is probably a step up solenoid for A/C.
An idle compensator solenoid for air conditioning so to speak. It shouldn't control the idle speed unless it's energized.
idle solenoid.jpg
Something like this.

Yeh, no sensor except for one thing. The solenoid is just that, it powers on with the key anytime it's on, and as soon as you touch the throttle with your foot, if not on the choke, the solenoid pops up a little to increase idle. There were used for two purposes, for A/C increased idle, and for emissions. Some cars, B/RB, not sure about SB, also had a wire attached to the brass end that touched the carb throttle arm. This wire activated (grounded) the diistributor retard solenoid when the throttle arm was touching the brass knob. I "guess" on the AC cars they were powered by the AC compressor circuit.

By the way if you don't have a factory service manual, send me a PM (conversation) Hover your mouse over my username at left, and punch "start conversation."

I just joined this forum and I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. I really appreciate all the help. I do have an OE manual but thanks again.

-
Back