Idler Arm Install

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installing the idler arm for the '73 Duster. I don't have the dust/grime seals that go on the tip and bottom around the bushing, so I fabricated some out of a leather pad. They seem to be fine, but I don't like the amount of up-and-down play. See video clip. Is there supposed to be a washer in the stack to take out that slack? If so, does it go on the top or the bottom of the knuckle?
https://youtube.com/shorts/fn4bJhHoShk?feature=share
20220621_121035.jpg

Installing the idler arm for the '73 Duster. I don't have the dust/grime seals that go on the tip and bottom around the bushing, so I fabricated some out of a leather pad. They seem to be fine, but I don't like the amount of up-and-down play. See video clip. Is there supposed to be a washer in the stack to take out that slack? If so, does it go on the top or the bottom of the knuckle?
https://youtube.com/shorts/fn4bJhHoShk?feature=share
View attachment 1715944992
The service manual doesn't show any kind of a washer.

If that's all it came with, it is missing some parts. There's supposed to be a special metal spacer and a couple of washers to take up that space.

Likely it is missing something. This was an old idler arm that came with a complete K-member, steering linkage, disc brakes, etc. that I bought a number of years ago. There's no telling whether all of the correct pieces were there or not. I did find in the pile of parts what would have to be called a spacer; it's not a washer, per se, inasmuch as it doesn't fit down over the bushing in the knuckle. The hole will fit the bolt, but not large enough to go over the bushing. It will ride on top of the bushing and should just about take up all of that slack. Thanks.

I cant say which idler arm you have but I had the opposite problem when I changed my idler arm. The bracket on my k member was too narrow and I had to widen it using a long bolt and a couple of nuts to spread it open. I stretched it out until the point where the idler arm would hold itself it place but I could still tug it out if I needed to move it. I wouldn't be happy if my car had that much play there. Have you tried tightening it down to see how much the bracket compresses? Or maybe consider running some sort of spacer/washer to take up the slack

I inserted the miscellaneous spacer that I found in the pile, and it seems to be fine. I'm going with that unless somebody has a bright idea.

-
Back