Idler Arm/pitman Arm Help

-

superdart426

Banned
Reaction score
Guys Using A 73 Small Block K Frame Modified To The Dc Specs What Arms Do I Use Small Block Or Big Block Help Much Appreciated Thanks Bob

Is there a difference? When I was shopping for these parts earlier this week, the web sites do not even list a big block as an option.
I think you will find you have a choice of "1".
C

the only differnc with idler and pitman arms happen within the years, not BB or SB.

I had to add 1973 V8 Idler and pitman arms to my 1970 440 duster to make the linkage not hit the oil pan.

You should be fine.

Phil

There was a big block only pitman arm, but I believe the big block cars had large sector steering gears (the size of the pitman shaft) and that was why they had a separate arm.

You will need an idler and pitman that match your center link, but if you are using a late center link it is difficult (maybe impossible) to find a pitman arm to match a small sector steering gear.

Large sector steering boxes didn't come out til 1973-74....
And I don't think anyone makes a large spline pitman arm to fit the older A bodies...(72 and older)...without changing all the linkage
Never have heard of a 'big block' pitman arm.

There was a big block only pitman arm, but I believe the big block cars had large sector steering gears (the size of the pitman shaft) and that was why they had a separate arm.

You will need an idler and pitman that match your center link, but if you are using a late center link it is difficult (maybe impossible) to find a pitman arm to match a small sector steering gear.

thats right, come to think of it I had to use the 73 center link as well

Large sector steering boxes didn't come out til 1973-74....
And I don't think anyone makes a large spline pitman arm to fit the older A bodies...(72 and older)...without changing all the linkage
Never have heard of a 'big block' pitman arm.

Large sector steering boxes were out long before 73, but not in small block a-bodies. My old 69 Polara wagon had one (the only car I've had with one from the factory that I knew of). As for the big block pitman arm, why don't you go look at the old parts books................

there was a big block a body pitman arm, not sure if there was a seperate idler arm. if I remember, the arm hung down a little lower than the small block/slant arm.

There is a seperate pitman arm for the big block darts. Available from Year One, part number WY433, I believe the price is about $105.00.

Chased this question for awhile and finally tracked down a NOS in-the-box '383 only' Pitman. Shown in side-by-side comparison with regular 68/69 A-Body Pitman, it does not hang as low, or extend out as far from steering shaft as regular A-body Pitman. It is small sector.

Arms were 'clocked' identically on a flat surface for the comparison.

I believe the YearOne pitman is large sector.

001v2.jpg

pitman 010v2.jpg

pitman 007v2.jpg

pitman 004v2.jpg

Jim , according to Rhinodart there is a BB specific idler and pitman on the original BB darts, I'll have to look in my parts book to confirm , never did .

As far as the large sector shaft , does not apply , there wasn't a large sector shaft box till 1973 unless the earlier A bodies had a small sector shaft than the B bodies ... i see that there might have been large sectors in c barges ?

I'll say this , my car has what I assume is the original pitman arm , it's got 56k original miles , not sure what it had for an idler arm but it was hitting the block when I bought the car. I replaced sagging motor mounts, still hitting, replaced it with a new moog part , still hitting . When I get under the car and look at it you can see that the centerlink is at an angle and it's higher up in the chassis on the passenger side .

Large sector steering boxes were out long before 73, but not in small block a-bodies. My old 69 Polara wagon had one (the only car I've had with one from the factory that I knew of). As for the big block pitman arm, why don't you go look at the old parts books................

Maybe C bodies had large sector pitmans but I know that all 66-72 B bodies had small sector boxes , everything got the larger sector box starting with 73 (??).

John,
I'm also going on other people's word as to what the difference was. I did spend a lot of time perusing Hollander's at the library and there was only one idler each year 67-69. Engine didn't matter, but there was a separate 383 pitman. I've never owned an original big block car. That's why I prefaced everything I said about the difference with the disclaimer.

I found out about the large sector box in c-bodies when I replaced the steering gear in my old 69 Polara wagon. I thought it was the wrong one as first. Because that was the good gear I had when I built my last fastback I had to use 73-76 steering linkage.

-
Back