Idler Arm Question

-

Francisco Aguiar

Reaction score
1972 duster - what Idler arm should be used when converting to v8 k-member from a slant 6? There is a listing for 2 different types to be used.
1972 and older - Moog Pn. K7042
1973 and up Moog Pn. k7086
Drum brake steering linkage is still being used from 1972
Spindles and brake components are from 1973 and up

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure assumption here....
If the steering box, pitman arm are 72 and older and the k frame is 72 and older, and the cross bar is 72 and older I would go with the 72 idler arm.

Again just an assumption. The brake parts are not the driving force here.

Not my strong point either, but.....

Steering components used have to be for the year K-member being used. Check if there is a different pitman arm needed depending on power or manual steering.

Upper ball joints are different between '72 & '73 so I believe you'll need '73+ upper control arms to accept '73+ disc brake spindle ball joints.

The year of the K (except 67) has nothing to do with the year of the idler, WHEN COMPONENTS MAY HAVE BEEN swapped

If the K member is 67 only, it has a "one year" mounting for the idler, and must use 67-72 center link and pitman arm

For any other year of K........................

If the center link is 67-72, then the idler MUST be 67-72, along with the pitman arm and a steering box with the proper spline size to fit

If the center link is 73/ later then the above is true except "the rest" must be 73/ later

There is a big spline and small spline steering box

Also changed was the motor mounts (spool mounts 73/ later) and if the car has a factory anti roll bar, the roll bar is different 73/ later as it snakes through the hollow K member, as well as the lower control arm connector tabs for the bar are different, 73/ later

You can use an OLDER bar with a newer K by mounting the bar under, just as 72/ earlier did, and by using 72/ earlier lower arms

Last edited:
67-72 the stud nuts are on top

old-jpg.jpg

73/ later the stud nuts are on the bottom

new-jpg.jpg

There is no V8 of six cylinder center link for the Duster. They're all the same. They are only separated by year model.

-
Back