Idles rough in gear

-

74 dustaar

Reaction score
I have a stock 318 with 360j heads and a small cam. Carb is a holly 650 vacuum secondary electronic choke. Edelbrock performer intake. The car idles great in park but when I drop it in gear the idle drops and she shakes and wants to die, it also smells of gas. While in park I do not get the gas smell. I raise the idle but then in park I am racing a bit. Any ideas on a better set up or a fix for what I have. Thanks

it depends on the rest of the motor but if idle in park seems high and it still stalls in gear i would take a good look at finding vacum leaks ;)

check your timing and also has your distributor been recurved?

where is your vacuum advance hose for the distributor hooked up to the carb at ...are you using the ported vacuum port on the carb?

since you have an electric coke...check the fast idel speed on the electric choke..and make sure once it is hot that the fast idle cam releases....and them check your idle speed....

just somethings to check..

What is distributor been recurved? I am running the stock distributor. Vacuum advance hose goes to the front passenger side of carb near bowl ? She stays running in gear with the idle high but seams to be high in park. No tach yet

Don't think this is it with a small cam but if theres like a 10.5 power valve and once in gear the motor's vacuum drops below that point, the power valve will open.

You may want to put a new power valve in it, 6.5 is good, maybe 8.5

-
Back