If you are or ever going to buy a car in Va. read this

-
Did the seller put the sale price on the title? If so the person you dealt with hosed you.

If not then the bill of sale (sut1) would have protected you according to this:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/titling.asp

Yes, the seller did put the price on the title. I was unaware of the sut1 at the time of purchase. Its alway's been in the Commonwealth of Va. that the amount of monies written on the title was how much you payed for the car. Someone in the DMV thought that the state was getting ripped off for tax money so when you bring an older car that would be consider to be an antique they check the computer blue book and make you pay the least amount of blue book value. in this case it was $16000.00 almost 500.00 in tax. Of course if I was aware of this before I got the car I would have the sut1 in my hand and had the seller sign this. Working nights and standing line 40 people deep and then waiting 40 minutes to get to the counter, I payed the tax and got the sut1 form and will try to get the seller to sign it for me.

, has anyone ever heard of of a 1972 Duster 340 going for blue books $37000.00?

I went to get my 70 318 dart and my 72 340 matching numbers cuda registered at the same time(bought both last year).Figured I would have a problem with the cuda since i got it fairly cheap and paid at mid price on the dart.Well she came back and said the cuda "went thru" no problem,which meant she looked up NADA to see the value,so i'm thinking all is fine but no the dart came back too cheap and it was in pieces when I got it.The cuda runs:wack:.So I get the tags for the cuda and went back a few days later and seen a different lady,what do you know I got them no problem the second time.Funny thing about it is both cars where priced the same at $3,000 to 10,000 :violent1:

NJ just goes by the amount written by the seller on the back of the title - no questions asked (word the the wise).

They didn't even ask when I wrote $1 on the back of a Jeep Cherokee my father-in-law gave me (though it was a 1989).

This is my point guys, Virginia use to do the same thing. You could write 10 bucks on there and it would go though, not any more. it's a way to get more money for the state.

I think this is the states way of getting around not haveing to get the title notorized.Which i hope we never go back to that,what a pain.

Unless their website hasn't been updated, it says they need to use NADA on a car 5 years or newer. 5 years and older the tax is 3% of purchase price OR 35 dollars which ever is greater. The purchase price on the title IS considered the "bill of sale".

You can read it here.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/sut.asp

I know it's too late now, and you will have to follow through with your other recourse but it sounds to me as if the person you dealt with didn't know what they were doing.

I went to get my 70 318 dart and my 72 340 matching numbers cuda registered at the same time(bought both last year).Figured I would have a problem with the cuda since i got it fairly cheap and paid at mid price on the dart.Well she came back and said the cuda "went thru" no problem,which meant she looked up NADA to see the value,so i'm thinking all is fine but no the dart came back too cheap and it was in pieces when I got it.The cuda runs:wack:.So I get the tags for the cuda and went back a few days later and seen a different lady,what do you know I got them no problem the second time.Funny thing about it is both cars where priced the same at $3,000 to 10,000 :violent1:

I have done that before. Go back another time and talk to a different person and get told some thing completely different. :wack: There must be more than one DMV rule book. :violent1:

Kansas tried that crap several years back. They ignored purchase prices and charged you based on the average NADA value of the vehicle. It got enough complaints that it didn't even last a year and they revoked it. Now they're back to normal.

I've heard they are going to start getting stricter on titling antique vehicles from a bill of sale. They are also starting to crack down on antique plates on modified vehicles. Basically, they're saying if it's not period correct within a couple years then you can't run an antique plate. They have classic and street rod plates that you have to run, or if it doesn't fit into those categories then you have to run a regular plate. Seems kind of dumb to me, but whatever.

Man, for all the complaints I have about NY, after reading how some of the other states treat you guys I'm glad NY is the way it is.

Hand written bill of sale is good enough. Sales tax is determined by county. Eight percent in this one, 8.25% in the county just north of us. You paid $100 for that car? That's eight bucks added on.

Two year registration is determined by vehicle weight. And a lot of times the book they use is way under the actual weight of the vehicle.

They do hit you with other fees, though. Twenty-five dollar fee due every time you renew your insurance policy. A ten dollar fee if you switch vehicles on your policy. Two year use tax on the registration. which is funny, when you think about it, the government is hitting you with the registration to begin with. Now they tax the money they collect to begin with.

I'm sure horror stories are out there, but I haven't had to experience one. Yet.

no sh*t ? the DMV in COS wont even look at a bill of sale. what they see on the back of the title for purchase price is what go by, regardless , no questions asked. that is absolutely reeediculas, just another way to make a buck

Well they have it that why cause its harder to cheat the state.

They know how us old car guys can be all buddy's to each other, so the bill of sale doesn't mean **** to them. They figure its the fair market value for the car--if sold at the best time the last 10 years, ha ha, of course they screwed it up and inflate it, like everything.

To keep the roads clean each winter, it cost most small cities tens of millions $ each winter, yeah right

What's next?

You buy a new car (or any item at a "discount" price), and have to pay tax on the straight MSRP, not the actual price?

NJ just goes by the amount written by the seller on the back of the title - no questions asked (word the the wise).

They didn't even ask when I wrote $1 on the back of a Jeep Cherokee my father-in-law gave me (though it was a 1989).

not true. maybe some slip through the cracks but they will send out a letter if they review it and see you paid well under what book value is.

did it to me.. i bought a truck from a neighbor for $250. titled it and no questions right then and there but a month or two later i get a letter saying i paid way less then book value and i needed proof from the seller that all i paid was $250. no problem the seller was my neighbor so he signed what he needed to sign and i was good to go..

they have been doing it for years now. 10-15 years that i know of. i personally know a couple other guys that had the same thing happen to..

from there on out i always get a receipt when i by a car or write a receipt when i sell a car. some times we will write up two receipts . one real one and one for the dmv.. :)

in this day and age you have to be nuts not to get some kind of bill of sale when buying a car.

I know.
They should charge everyone who buys a lottery ticket tax on $1,000,000, because that ticket COULD be worth that much.
Then if the ticket doesn't win, you can fill out forms to submit so you can apply to get back the difference.

maybe different where you are but here if they fight with what you paid for the vehicle you go to anyone that appraises vehicles with pictures of the car and the VIN number and have them apprase it for what you paid or less. they can't fight with an appraisal, you should have one done and make them refund your $1000+ dollars

-
Back