If You've got Rusty Fuel Issues...

-

Killer6

Reaction score
Just finished saving a Quadrajet off of an '85 360 Dodge conversion van, metering rods looked like they were wearing leg-warmers made of rust, old gas also killed the epoxy holding the element in the metal filter. The sintered filter in the carb was present tho', but obviously nothing had stopped the super-fine tank crud from entering the carb. Drained & fresh fuel, but I wanted to try & stop any fine rust, replacing the tank is out at the moment so....
20230515_104010.jpg

20230515_104735.jpg

Flat-Donut trans magnet on inlet of canister, see how it works out....

Very difficult. I always fought my old Landcruiser. Rust goes right through filters. I had an inlet filter at the electric pump, an AC sediment bowl filter up at the carb, + the sintered metallic filter into the carb when running a carb which accepted one.

I drained and flushed it several times, loaded it with pepples at least 3x and sloshed them around to "scrub" the tank, and drained the fuel and let it sit, then drained off, leaving the rust in the bottom Never did get it completely clean. That was way before the internet, and if POR-15 existed, I did not know about it

Look that up and try it. They make several products, you want the one especially to coat fuel tanks

The owner sold the van, but it wasn't running, so that was My job. I don't think He wants to get into(pay for) Me doing anything with the tank, sock's not restricted(at rest anyway), so starter & carb rescue w/filters is probably it. Well, choke thermostat needs changed, didn't know that since it wasn't running.....but that'll be it.

-
Back