ign. kill switch

-

DBrown

hold my beer...
Reaction score
I know this is kind of a bad thing to talk about on the internet but I have a problem.

I have a 73 Dart Sport with a 318. it has given me problems for the last few years just deciding when to start and not to start on its own. I have tried just about everything from replacing every ignition part to pulling the under hood harness and fixing wires that were questionable. I am comming to the conclution that it is in the harness under the dash. when I started poking around found a mess of stripped and chewed wires that are getting way to hot to be correct.

so, I am wanting to know how to safely put a kill switch hidden in the car to turn the ignition system on and off untill I can repair the under dash wiring. I am thinking to just run a simple wire to the one side of the 4 prong ceramic resister on the fire wall. anyone think that will work? and if so what guage wire will probably be the best to use?

Reads more like you want to prevent someone from starting the car. Electric fires start in parked vehicles too. Best plan is to remove the negative battery cable.

I am not sure what you mean...I am basicly wanting to know if one side of the ballest resistor is supost to have 12v so I can install a kill switch to it to turn the ign. system on and off.

just let me know your addrese and i can help you, and what time are you usual not home?:toothy10: sorry had too #-o

just kidding my car has a master kill switch using a 2 prong key switch thats hidden, i cut into main wire that sends power to my fuse block shuts off all power going anywhere but iam using a pianless wiring kit might be diff for your app

I was looking at the diagram last night and I think if I just use a 16 ga. wire and feed the side of the ballest resistor that has the jumper on it the ignition system will get safe power. the reason I am doing it this way is I am having problems with the interior wiring and I need to pull the harness. if I do it this way I can still move the car around with no under dash harness.

Now I understand what you want to do. So unplug the fusable link at the bulkhead and everything inside the car will be dead and servicable. Then supply power to ignition to run it. Start it with the strater relay.

Now I understand what you want to do. So unplug the fusable link at the bulkhead and everything inside the car will be dead and servicable. Then supply power to ignition to run it. Start it with the strater relay.

exactly

-
Back