Ignition coilsssssssssss

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Could be a Christmas gift for me:D,as for an aftermarket ing coil what is out there that is better than a stock coil? My dart 360 was converted over to electronic ignition 2 years ago with the chrome ecm box.I would like a coil to just bolt on and away i go.I just got an Accel coil in a swap deal and found out it needsssss a resistor ballest to run it,no thanks lets keep it simple.

I used to like MSD coils (Blaster 2) until production got moved to China and quality went down the toilet.

Any coil you install in conjunction with the Mopar-type electronic ignition (no matter what colour the box is) will need a ballast resistor.

I have no experience with the flame thrower coils but ...
Here is what I got from Pertronix about there flame thrower coils.
If the electronic ignition needs the ballast that is a different story.

They run about $33 on Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00199BO4C"]Amazon.com: PerTronix 40511 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm Coil: Automotive[/ame]

David,

With out a ballast resister part number: 40501 (Chrome) or 40511 (Black)

With a ballast resister part number: 40001 (chrome) or 40011 (black)

We recommend with out a ballast resister.

Marvin Grebow Jr.
PerTronix Inc.
Technical Department
909-273-6006
[email protected]

I have a Chrome Mopar Performance coil on my mill, no complaints.

Any coil you install in conjunction with the Mopar-type electronic ignition (no matter what colour the box is) will need a ballast resistor.

I have read that there are some coils with enough primary resistance that you don't need the ballast resistor to protect the Mopar box. I recall 3 ohm is enough, but maybe down to 1.5 ohm. Search.

I have the Crane XR700 box which says to keep the ballast resistor installed. However, I don't know if that is to protect their box or my factory coil. I might try running a low resistance coil and see if the XR700 gets too hot (have a spare). I read that the E-core coils are best, especially if using an MSD or HEI ignitor. I have an E-core off a RAM truck, a GM external HEI and an after-market one. Magnum engines mounted their E-core at the front of the engine, I presume for better cooling, so I will try that.

I used to like MSD coils (Blaster 2) until production got moved to China and quality went down the toilet.

Well now I am at a lost.I all ready have a 4 pin ballast,are you saying Dan I need a different one than the stockier I have now.All I want is a simple swap lol.

........In some applications u will need the recommended ballast along with the factory 1..........with the MSD blaster 2 u just run the factory resistor...........kim.......

Just got done wiring up my 340 in my street rod from scratch and went with the MSD blaster 2 coil and I have no complaints so far....Also went with the MSD 8388 ready to run distributor...Man that was nice...All you need is a coil.....No ballast resistor BS or any ignition box needed at all! hook three wires up and away you go.....

Also went with tuff stuf one wire alternator so no voltage regulator or wiring needed cluttering up the engine compartment....its in the alternator....all you need is one wire back to battery

Also went with tuff stuf one wire alternator so no voltage regulator or wiring needed cluttering up the engine compartment....its in the alternator....all you need is one wire back to battery

Sounds like a nice swap thanks.Looks like I will go with the blaster 2,Birthday is this January.

-
Back