ignition/column issue...HELP !!! LOL

-

terzmo

Reaction score
First time this ever happened.....car has always started/turned over well. 72 demon....column ignition key/switch. Well, went to start it and the switch turned all the way to crank and all I got was a dash light and the key wouldn't spring back, just sorta stayed in the crank position...also didn't get any gauge deflection. Left the key on and the car started,very reluctently by jumping the starter selonoid.(car normally fires almost immediatel,this time cranked way too long). Now I'm pissed because I was leaving for a cruise. I played with the colum a bit and the key/switch returned to normal. Car fired up immediately and the return spring action worked. I understandd the car is a "demon" but I don't need demons in the system.

What's with this ?? This is the newest old car I've had and never dealt with a column switch. Suggestions ?

Hard to say, but usually when a simple mechanical linkage like that "indicates trouble" then that is where the trouble is

What might explain you hard starting when jumpering the relay is this:

If you are still using an ignition with a ballast resistor -- when you jump the relay, the ballast bypass circuit (which is "all in the IGN switch) is not activated.

So the starter pulls the battery down a little, say, 11--11.5V, but the ign system is STILL GOING through the ballast, so you may be only getting 3-5V at the coil for start.

One way around this, is to hook a clip lead from the start relay stud to the coil + (does not apply on such things as MSD ignition) and then remove it when the engine fires

MSD ignition....need to know the "inners" of the column...how it works...how to remove lock assembly without tearing the entire column apart.

Was told by one there is a rod in the column that goes to a switch at the base of the column...

-
Back