Ignition from column to dash

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have been toiling with the idea of getting a new steering column and having the keyed ignition moved to the dash. If there is anyone out there that has done this, was it difficult, what column did you go to, and finally any pics?

I have a 74 Duster if it helps.

Electrically simple. The big problem would be physically mounting the switch. The related problem is you just destroyed what little "anti theft" you had.

Electrically simple. The big problem would be physically mounting the switch. The related problem is you just destroyed what little "anti theft" you had.
Thanks for the reply. I have a very, very basic knowledge of electrical. Like I know if I put a paper clip into an outlet, I'll get shocked. (maybe a little more). Is the location the issue or the fact that it's now exposed the cause for concern?

Well it's the loss of your column lock. That's what makes it more secure. The early cars (if you are using a Mopar switch) have a stamped area in the dash where it fits, so you can't just bolt it in there. I have not looked at what's out there in aftermarket that's actually attractive for switches. The parts store stuff is pretty "bleauch"

awesome, thanks! I think I'll stay with the steering column ignition. Thanks for the schooling

-
Back