Ignition interference in CB

-

guitarguy318

Moparus Scottibus
Reaction score
Breaker 1-9, just wired in a CB for an upcoming road trip. Has a buzzy interference that rises with engine speed. I'm running a Jeg's Mopar electronic ignition, car's a '79. Want to be able to hear about the fuzz and give 33s. How to I kill the buzz? Much oblige, on the side.

its your spark plug wires... that is why factory, and some aftermarket say "electronic suppression", I believe some of the performance gains of "nice" wires, is at this cost.

JOE

and give 33s. How to I kill the buzz? .

What the hell is "giving 33s?"

Spark plug wires are certainly part of it, but there can be much more.

Is it a high speed "popping" kind of buzz (ignition probably)

or more of a musical whine? (alternator)

Does your big, huge, tremendous CB have a "noise blanker?" I'm not talking about a "noise limiter" I'm talking about a REAL noise blanker

Spark plug wires: You certainly need suppessor wires. Solid wire core wires just won't make it.

Plugs. Even with suppressor wires, sometimes you need to run "resistor" plugs

Make sure there's a capacitor (condenser) on the PLUS side of the coil, with a short wire to ground. Most real parts stores sell them. Usually with a tell-tale part number like RC-1 (radio condenser/ capacitor)

There's a cap in the alternator, but sometimes adding one to the output (stud) helps.

Next, many times grounding the hood helps. Either get some small ground braid straps, or just make up no10 or 12 wires and ground near the firewall, in such a way that there's enough "loop" that you can open the hood. They should not be over a foot or so

The routing of, and connection of the power lead to your radio can help or hinder noise. Usually, hooking right to the battery with a fuse, route the wire away from other wiring--especially ignition, and tie/ fasten the wireing close to the metal of a car for a shielding "ground plane" effect.

Sometimes putting a combo filter cap/ inductor in the power lead helps, and sometimes using heavy coax (RG_eight) ---why does this site turn the figure eight into a graphic?--- for the power lead helps

Placement of the antenna and proper grounding, helps or hurts, too. Make sure you route the coax close to metal ground, and properly terminate it. Putting the antenna, fer' xample, in the hood groove on an L bracket is almost guaranteed to give you noise.

(Loaded antenna, center of roof is probably best)

Believe it or not, in one case years ago, we found that the exhaust system was acting as an antenna and radiating noise into the radio--a "low band" vhf in the 30-50 mhz range.

We had to ground the exhaust in a couple of places.

If this is a pickup, bonding the cab/ bed/ frame together and SOMETIMES even the doors helps. Same as the hood. short flexible straps / wire. You want at least no12 because it lowers inductance.

All sorts of other things in the car can make interferance, including anything with a microprocessor---clock, electronic cruise/ am/ fm radio, engine computer, etc, and brakes and wheel bearings.

(My old 86 Dodge 600 K car used to generate a birdie right on 146.52 in the engine computer)

Frankly, you could not PAY me enough to listen to the crap "on the cb"

sound suppresor you can get them at cb shop or radio shack and go with rg58 cable and ground your cb properly

Very good answers from Dart273. I used to run a CB repair shop before I got my ham ticket and ran into issues like this all the time. Like 273 said it's likely either ignition or alternator noise. Noise can be generated from several sources but those are the most likely. If it's alternator whine you can generally solve it by installing a filter you get at Radio Shack. If it's ignition make sure you use suppressor wires. And as stated not all CB's are created equal. A good receiver like a Cobra 142 has a much better noise blanker than a Cobra 19 (in fact the 19 has no noise blanker at all) or the illegal galaxy crap out there.

Also consider this: how good is your antenna? If it's one of those little 18" weenie antenna's cash it in for scrap. You'll get more for scrap than what it's worth. All antenna's will pull in noise but a good antenna will pull in the signal much stronger over riding the noise easier.

Wow wow wow... GREAT info. Can't thank you enough.

33s were (at least in the era of my late stepdad "The Green Bean" and on the East coast) "good things to you" or the equivalent, despite what the official meaning was. "...and 33s to you, too."

Specifically, I have a small Radio Shack unit sitting in the under-armrest console with a magnetic antenna on the body just ahead of the trunk lid. Needless to say, not a permanent install and not ideal. But if I can quiet it down a bit (it's the harsher, popping buzz, not a whine) by grounding something or installing a cheap doohickey, I'm all for it.

It's in a '79 Chrysler 300. Doing a road trip over the Holidays.

My wires say "7mm with conductive silicone core and silicone jacket"... and they're recent, that's all I know on that.

And yes, the CB banter is complete crap but nobody tells you where the speed traps are or what lane to be in coming up on construction or an accident any farther in advance than the truckers. I don't do road trips without my ears on...

good info days on cbs are pretty much over however if you want to argue look for lot lizards or find road dope they are still useful .unless you go to a non used channel to converse with a running buddy. times have changed

Guitarguy it sounds like the wires are up to par and since you don't have an electric fuel pump to cause noise there's not much you can do. The main problem lies within the cheap Radio Shack CB. They claim to have a built in noise limiter (called ANL) but it's really a joke and does little to stop noise. You need a radio with an IF noise blanker (NB). How soon do you need this for your trip and do you have any extra funds to buy a better radio? I was cleaning out the basement last week and ran accross a couple old CB's I was planning lo listing after I test them. One is a Tram and the other is a Courier. Don't remember if the Courier has NB or not but I know the Tram does as it was the top dog when it was made. Wasn't planning on asking much for either.

BTW: I might even trade for Mopar parts if you have something I need. Let me know if that interests you.

Gimme a call tomorrow or Sat. 512.392.4400... I'm interested. This one's nice and small so I can fit it inside the storage part of the console. But even if not for this trip I have a stepvan I built into a camper and need a decent CB for it to replace this one. I have some interesting parts but no time to dig through & pack up, etc. It's crunch time at the guitar shop. I have about 10 I'd like to get out before I break for the Holidays. ~Scott

Gimme a call tomorrow or Sat. 512.392.4400... I'm interested. This one's nice and small so I can fit it inside the storage part of the console. But even if not for this trip I have a stepvan I built into a camper and need a decent CB for it to replace this one. I have some interesting parts but no time to dig through & pack up, etc. It's crunch time at the guitar shop. I have about 10 I'd like to get out before I break for the Holidays. ~Scott

Will do Scott. Probably be Saturday as tomorrow looks pretty busy.

-
Back