Ignition lock removal

-

2 Darts

A-body Addicted
Reaction score
I have a problem with the ignition lock on my 73 Dart. The lock will not accept the keys I have for it and it is stuck in the on position. The steering wheel on the other hand, is locked into position. I am planning to replace the ignition and door lock cylinders.
Other than to disconnect the battery and plow through stripping the column down to the turn signal switch, I'm kind of lost. I have the FSM which doesn't seem to be a lot of help. Any practical tips that can be provided will be appreciated.

By chance have you tried to move the shifter handle while jiggling the key or steering wheel?? There must be something binding in the linkage :scratch:

That happened to me once as well.Also on a 73.That outside chrome handle looking piece was swedged onto the lock cylinder from the factory. Well the swedging led go, and the handle part moved independently of the lock cylinder. On mine I just forced the handle part back to where the lock cylinder was so that I could put the key back in. Then I left the key in the switch until I got around to replacing it. When I finally did I removed and threw away that aggravating steering lock wheel. I live in the country, and nobody wants a 73 Swinger around here.
I think you can replace just the lock cylinder. IIRC the key has to be in there and the switch has to be in run to remove just the lock cylinder.
Changing that internal mechanical switch requires the steering wheel to be removed, and everything else til you get down to it. You will need a steering wheel puller, and a very small external circlip plier, in addition to a couple of basic tools.

-
Back