Ignition or carburetion?

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I swapped a Harley (I had 2) for a 65 Barracuda. It was a /6 with factory 4 speed. It had already been converted to an electronic ignition with a NAPA control unit and an unknown distributor. The ignition does not use a ballast resistor.
It ran fairly well but the carb on it leaked, had a flat spot and was beyond repair. So, I decided to go V-8 and have a little fun
Recently, I rebuilt an old 273 with .030 over flat topped pistons, completely rebuilt heads and a mild solid lifter cam and dropped it in the car. The engine has a D4B intake with a Carter 625 CFM AFB that I borrowed and rebuilt.
I used a later model Cardone electronic distributor and hooked it up to the existing ignition.
It starts and runs perfect when cold and when warm drives well until I "drop the hammer". Then it runs rough, especially between 2k and 3k RPM. The choke is electric and opens all the way. If I drive normally, it tachs right on up there with no problem. After shut down, it's hard to start and turns over for about 5-10 seconds before catching.
I'm leaning toward the carb. Even though I rebuilt it with a kit, it's still old and sat on a shelf for several years before I borrowed it. Previously it was on a 318 my friend says ran very well. I've not been able to find any vacuum leaks, compression is good.
A new carb is around $300 and I really don't want to just throw parts at it if I can help it.
I'm looking for suggestions

check float level..and check fuel pressure.

and check your timing...what is it set at?

Floats are set to spec. I've played with the timing all over the place and now have initial set about 15 BTDC. It seemed to help start after it was warm a little better. Don't think fuel pressure is an issue as it runs at 3k and up just fine but I will try to find out.

-
Back