Ignition Problems

-

H235gdh

ghaxton
Reaction score
I have been working to restore my son's 1974 Dart Swinger while he is on temporary duty assignment with the Air Force. I have removed the front fenders, hood and grill to finish some body work and to repair holes around the window, but since I have removed the fenders, I have not been able to start the car.

I have checked and replaced both the coil and the ballast resistor, but not spark is coming from the coil. I have checked with a light test and power is going to the coils positive and negative terminals, yet I can get no power through the main coil wire to the distributor.

I was wondering if anyone of you out there have run into this in the past. I am wondering if with the fenders and grill removed, is it that I might not be making a good ground somewhere?

I was hoping to not to have to replace the hood and fenders right away as I would like to paint the car and it would be easier with these removed, but I need to start the engine and move the car from the barn so I can complete some work on it.

Any Ideas?

You are putting your seatbelt on to start the car right? 1974 was the interlock year.

Also there is an interlock relay on the drivers side firewall. It should have a red reset/override button. Give that a try.

The ignition module was fender mounted and neds chassis ground. Starter relay should be chassis grounded too

-
Back