ignition switch replacement

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
Ok I need some help on this one, I was following the how to article and everything was going ok until this one step. Maybe the difference is because my car is a 71 and not a 70?
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg
I have no snap ring here, but yet I cant get any further with the disassembly. Any ideas?

according to the 71 Plymouth service manual there should be a snap ring.

down load manual at mymopar.com

upload_2022-1-8_18-3-29.png

is that the snap ring?
upload_2022-1-8_18-10-10.png

Last edited:
The bearing is holding it on the shaft. Sometimes they can be a real pain to get off. One problem is the rubber ring around the bearing. It has too much give and makes it difficult to get the bearing off.

The bearing is holding it on the shaft. Sometimes they can be a real pain to get off. One problem is the rubber ring around the bearing. It has too much give and makes it difficult to get the bearing off.

It took a little work, shot some WD40 and tapped it a couple times. Steady and slow and nothing broke. Lets just hope the aftermarket parts last as long as what I took out...probably not.

Good deal, glad you got it off. Your going to want to get a snap ring for it. I think it sits right above that bearing and its a narrow ring c clip. Not something you will find at a hardware store.

It took a little work, shot some WD40 and tapped it a couple times. Steady and slow and nothing broke. Lets just hope the aftermarket parts last as long as what I took out...probably not
Be careful tapping on steering column parts, some are held in position by plastic injected between the parts and tapping brakes the plastic.

-
Back