ignition system ?????

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Mallory or msd??? What do u find better??? Or do u use something else??? Let me know wat you guys think.

My vote is for MSD. My 440 sixpack started out with the factory dual point. Then I went to the Chrysler Nascar electronic ignition around 1980. By then I had rebuilt the engine with 454 heads/harden seats purple shaft and Rhodes lifters. Could not get a good idle under 1500 rpm until I went MSD-now it is smooth at 700 rpm....
Lynn

HEI. Performance far superior to Mopar electronic, at much less cost than any of the good aftermarket ignition systems, with highly reliable components that can easily and inexpensively be replaced anywhere in the world.

A stock GM HEI module when mated to a stock style coil actually has less rpm potential than the stock mopar ecu with the stock style coil. The scope traces I have seen show the HEI breaking down around 5200 rpm verse 5800 rpm for the mopar.

You need to use a HEI type coil and/or an after market module to see any real advantage. But then again the mopar performance chrome ecu or the FBO ecu from 4secondsflat.com can produce a reliable spark up to 8000 rpm.

A stock GM HEI module when mated to a stock style coil actually has less rpm potential

Sure, but…so what? The stock (Mopar) style coil is not the correct one to use with HEI. Whatever ignition system you pick, its components have to be matched to one another.

No need to guess or assume here; go read the HEI article I linked; there are oscilloscope traces comparing Mopar electronic to HEI on the same engine. Note the higher voltage and longer spark duration with HEI.

Against what MoPar ignition box?

I myself am very tired of my MSD failing on me.

For a Mopare system, I vote Chrome box with the correct compents.
A Mallory was the staple before MSD and have since been joined with Accel and Jacobs under the Mr. Gasket/Pertronix (SP?) banner.

I would first get your distributor curved at FBO. I've got his whole set up, although I just installed a mallory hyfire 685. It has all the bells and whistles, digital rev limiter, 2-step, start retard, window switch and selectable retard (for nitrous). It's just a little bit more than the MSD but has all the features in one piece. I've had 2 MSDs fail on me and I'll never go back. Ask me in a year if I'm still a fan of this Mallory. I mounted it inside the firewall and put an inline fuse on it so hopefully it doesn't fail like the MSDs did.

Sure, but…so what? The stock (Mopar) style coil is not the correct one to use with HEI. Whatever ignition system you pick, its components have to be matched to one another.

No need to guess or assume here; go read the HEI article I linked; there are oscilloscope traces comparing Mopar electronic to HEI on the same engine. Note the higher voltage and longer spark duration with HEI.

But that is the problem. Most all of the proponents of the HEI module just swap the mopar module for a GM module and call it done. Plus they believe that the ballast resistor can be removed. It can be if all the parts are matched as you say but if they aren't the ballast is still required.

The fact that the HEI system o-scope trace shows a higher voltage tells me that the comparison is not apples to apples, something else is different between the two tests. In an inductive ignition the voltage in the coil will rise to the point that a spark occurs, if everything else was the same there would be no difference in the voltage between the two systems. Likely they gapped the plugs wider for the HEI system.

As much as the marketeers for the 45000 volt coil would like you to believe that their's is so much better than company B's 35000 volt coil the fact of the matter is a spark occurs down in the high 1x000 volt range so those coils will never generate the voltage they are advertised to.

The down side of all inductive ignition systems is as the rpm increases the time available to saturate the coil goes down resulting in less potential to create a spark. The balancing game the ignition design engineers have to play is ensuring that the system can produce a reliable spark at high rpms while not over driving the coil at low rpms resulting premature failure. The measure of goodness of an inductive ignition system is how high in the rpm range it can continue to supply a reliable spark. Down at idle and low mid range rpm they all work acceptably.

The GM HEI was very very good system, probably the best at the time. The mopar system was also very good. Using a stock GM module without the proper coil to go with it is not as good as the stock mopar system. There are module available from the aftermarket for both mopar and GM that have the abilility to vary the dwell and when matched with the proper coil will extend the rpm range way beyond the stock systems.

Digital E-core (I just bought one)I tried the GM module set-up on a mopar perf dist not really impressed with it.

-
Back