Ignition wires

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
So I know to hook the small red msd wire to a switched 12v. From what I've read alot of people splice it into either the IGN 1 or IGN2 wire. And looking at the wiring schematic I can't find which wires they are.

I'd like to tie it in under the dash not in the engine compartment.
Thanks

Tie both ign 1 and 2 together and use that for your MSD supply.

You want full ignition power in both key positions (start and run) or it'll start till you let go of the key, or start only after you let go of the key.

So I know to hook the small red msd wire to a switched 12v. From what I've read alot of people splice it into either the IGN 1 or IGN2 wire. And looking at the wiring schematic I can't find which wires they are.

I'd like to tie it in under the dash not in the engine compartment.
Thanks

So what year / make / model are we working on, and what schematic are you looking at?

It's a 1972 dart swinger
And I just have a schematic I got online

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-05-17-48-51.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 276
The other part

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-05-17-48-32.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 250
Those diagrams aren't too bad "for some things" but they are not always complete. Do yourself a big favor and go back to "MyMopar" and download the factory service manual.........which is also free. By the way, that 72 manual and several others over there came from guys on here at FABO

The two wires you want are accessible from the column connector leading to the ignition switch. Here's a crop out of page 8-150, 151

You want the 3rd and 4th from the top. Dont cut the blue, as it feeds "other stuff." Tap into it, splice, crimp, solder, whatever.

ay1zyb.jpg

Thanks you guys so much, I'll definitely check out that manual, if I need anything else I'll repot back. Thanks again!

Ok guys, so the ign 1 wire is the blue and ign 2 is brown, so I'm cutting the brown wire and splicing the msd red and the brown ign 2 wire into the blue ign1 wire correct?.

Also what side of the connector am I doing the splice on? The column side or side coming into column? Thanks

I like connecting them together under the hood at the harness, and then the new ignition wire to those. (on the harness side using the brown and blue that used to go to the ballast.)
When I did mine I cut those two all the way back to the main harness, connected them together with my new ignition power wire (the red MSD on yours) and taped them back into the harness.

I don't know why Del had you do it under the dash, unless there was some reason for testing or something.
Under the hood is way easier, and also the way we have our HEI customers do it.

And just an FYI, if you wish you can trim all those wires that used to go to the Mopar ignition all the way back to the main harness on the firewall. (or just leave them and tie them back somewhere) either one.
Either way won't affect anything else at all as far as your new ignition is concerned.

Thanks trail beast! He replied about under the dash because that's where I wanted to make all my connections just to clean up the engine bay, I'm going with a one wire alternator also to get rid of the ballast resistor and voltage regulator, that really helps clean things up

Thanks trail beast! He replied about under the dash because that's where I wanted to make all my connections just to clean up the engine bay, I'm going with a one wire alternator also to get rid of the ballast resistor and voltage regulator, that really helps clean things up

Ok, in that case it does not matter where you connect them together as long as they are.
(either side of the connector is fine.)

Great, thanks alot, another question for ya, with the one wire alternator I only keep the single large wire from the old alternator and the rest are history right?

I wired my MSD box directly. I believe it has an internal relay so when you supply "KEY ON" power it turns on. Why not just do that?

Also, doesn't the MSD box work better if it has a healthy supply of electricity? If you were really worried about the MSD box being run directly to the battery, you can always put a relay between it. The same "KEY ON" supply would power both the external relay supplying 12v to the MSD box as well as the "ON" wire for the MSD box.

I hope all that rambling made sense.

I wired my MSD box directly. I believe it has an internal relay so when you supply "KEY ON" power it turns on. Why not just do that?

Also, doesn't the MSD box work better if it has a healthy supply of electricity? If you were really worried about the MSD box being run directly to the battery, you can always put a relay between it. The same "KEY ON" supply would power both the external relay supplying 12v to the MSD box as well as the "ON" wire for the MSD box.

I hope all that rambling made sense.

Made sense to me, but I know exactly what you are saying. :D
Someone who has never seen or done it might not know though.

Either way still requires that you have power to the box in start and run both, so unless you change how you turn the ignition on you still have to have power on both ign1 and ign2 during startup with the OEM ignition switch.

The OP mentioned "small red" which is the trigger wire. I assumed he had wired the black / red large wires "direct."

Yea the large red and black wires are direct to the battery in the trunk, I was just concerned with the trigger wire.
I've made plenty of wire splices and connections but this is my first time really diving into a wiring project, just making sure I do everything right the first time ya kno

Yea the large red and black wires are direct to the battery in the trunk, I was just concerned with the trigger wire.
I've made plenty of wire splices and connections but this is my first time really diving into a wiring project, just making sure I do everything right the first time ya kno

Oooh..Ok. I get it now. So you have it in the trunk? I may have missed that. I have it under the hood and I think I tapped into a blue wire int the engine wire harness for the "IGN ON" feed. I think that blue wire may have gone to the factory electronic ignition.

TrailBeast, thank you. I had the same problem (purchased MSD ready to run ignition) and car would start up, but quit when in "Run" position. I only had the brown wire attached to the coil +. I even bought a new ignition switch thinking that must be where the problem was, but I hadn't tied IG1 and IG2 together after getting rid of the Ballast resistor. Problem solved after searching the threads and finding this one. Many thanks.

-
Back