Ignored step child

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Any of you guys just ever feel like our early A's don't get the attention they deserve? Hell the early A is among the lightest car available.
I work with a guy that was talking about working on his RR and just heated me a little ( not like actually angry) hearing him talk about the parts and easy accesability compared to the early A.
Just a short rant about the lack of parts that actually FIT these cars.

No reason to get warm under the collar,your both mopar guys and you both like to talk about your cars,No harm there.The reason is,is that the early A body cars I would guess are not a popular as the B body RR.The market will always bend towards the where the people buy most,and then trickle down.As a early A mopar man back in the day,I never let any one or any company stop me from doing what i want.It,s not being made,not a problem,I will make one,or modify one to suit my needs.If you stop because some one says no,your not the person I though you where,your a mopar owner and a mopar owner does not take no for a answer,He/SHE bust there asses to gain every bit of HP they can,and never stop,mrmopartech

I agree! I went to a local restoration/ salvage yard when I first got my 65 Formula S home. The guy told me if I didn't have a Charger or R.R. I didn't have crap worth having. Now 3 years later he's drag racing a Dart because of the lightness and availability of less expensive parts. All of can't afford a !00,000 RR, but can afford my 65. When I am finished with mine and go to some car shows, I imagine my 65 will get as many looks as the other cars.
I'll get off my soapbox now! Just enjoy what we have and be thankful we know the true value of those cars.

there is WAY more interest in early A cars now than ever. why???? 1. availability of the car. 2. in this day and age, its size fits. the B body now days in huge!!!!! 3. tastes of people change. decades ago I would not have looked twice at owning a 318 car, much less a slant. now I love driving the slants! LOL 4. its considered an " entry level" car to our hobby. BUT many of us never have a desire to "move" up!!!!

decades ago there was very little in way of resto parts available for mopars period. like he said, the more popular cars get resto parts first, and think of this, the guy with the 70 cuda is faster to spend a buck than say the guy with the 65 dart or valiant!?????

the resto parts for mopar historically have been produced by the " cottage " industry. a guy and his with repoping a part or two. after decades these people retire or die off, thus reducing the offering????

it is sad how so many boneyards have crushed. the price of scrap, EPA, people retiring..... sad but that's life. a fairly local years crushed 2 years ago, the guy got 3 million, thousands of cars. retired and went into the c attle business. my car buddy says " HOW could he do that!???".

I have another buddy that has been into 65 darts for decades. he has a 273 car totally restored, and a vert stripped and painted .... and garage, house, and vans full of parts . wants to sell everything for $30,000. Ha , snowball chance in hades! i say he couldn't find anyone to buy it all for retail value of the 2 cars much less give squat for the parts I would guess.

I think it's good and bad they don't get the recognition of the other Muscle Mopars. The good news is they are a lot cheaper to buy because of there desirability. The price of the car is the Major factor for some people and you can get a way with some cheaper parts as long as you don't get carried away.

The problem is once you get the 360 shoe horned in now the 273 exhaust is the problem. So now your starting to get into the big bucks getting a good exhaust or if you just want to go to the next level, and for most of us we get carried away so we end up spending the big bucks although we are on a tight budget.

So it's the good & bad news story.

At approx. 2700 pounds the early HiPo A's surprised many a big block powered car back in the day. Still true to this day. Easy now to build to 500+ HP they are somethin' else! Enjoy your car and don't listen to unfounded opinions.

When I go to the cruise in or a local show or even Walmart, people come up to the little Valiant and don't even know what kind of car it is. I was parked next to a Dodge Dart and the guy who owned it, wanted to know why I had a PLYMOUTH tag on the front of my Dart, I told him to look a little closer and he would figure it out. I love all the mopars, but there is a little special love for the little A Bodies.

Attachments

• S2010331.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138
My 65 Barracuda gets more looks and thumbs up than alot of cars. I have people taking pictures all the time with their smart phones and they have a big smile on their face plus I like it alot.

-
Back