I'm 3D Printing a set of Dash Panels with Gauges

-

KevinB

Reaction score
This will be the official thread for this project for my 66 Dart...now that the hiding radio module is just waiting on metal dash work to be installed, I can turn my attention to this for a bit. In the past I had someone print me a prototype, now that I have a printer capable of taking on the challenge I'll be printing it myself. I will likely start from scratch as I have learned a lot about 3d design since I started this. Let's begin by showing you the prototype and the gauges that will be used.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.54.24 PM.png

Original design

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.55.06 PM.png

Printed Prototype

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.53.54 PM.png

The custom gauges from Speedhut

I recently purchased a 3D scanner as that's the best way I know of to capture the actual dimensions of the dash, placement of mounting points, etc...without a zillion reprints. Below is my first attempt at scanning, so could definately be better, and I will be rescanning soon. But it shows you I am able to capture the major components of the dash frame with mounting points. This scanning will also allow me to design the patch panel that will be welded in the middle section to allow me to mount the rotating radio module. The quality of the scan more or less doesn't matter. It's really just about getting the structure in place that I can design against.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 12.47.35 PM.png

More updates to come over time, this will be a long project!

I do some 3D printing myself, buying a Ender 3 Pro six months ago. I just bought a resin printer last week (Xmas present to myself) and I'm on the learning curve for that.

I'm curious what kind of plastic you are going to use and what scanner you bought.

I do some 3D printing myself, buying a Ender 3 Pro six months ago. I just bought a resin printer last week (Xmas present to myself) and I'm on the learning curve for that.

I'm curious what kind of plastic you are going to use and what scanner you bought.

My printer is a Bambu X1C, my scanner is an Einstar, and my material will be ASA. I also use MatterHackers' Ionic support material. Working in Fusion 360 for the design

Is the coding esa/iso that is used in cnc programs?

Can you post a picture of the prototype part in the dash. Just want to see the contrast.

Is the coding esa/iso that is used in cnc programs?
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but Fusion 360 can be used for either CNC stuff, or just design in general, but it's definately a CAD/CAM centered program

Can you post a picture of the prototype part in the dash. Just want to see the contrast.
Here it is sort of loosely placed in there, I don't have a way to attach it at the moment, and it doesn't match up perfectly anyway, hence the scanning I've just done

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 1.36.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 1.36.50 PM.png

Something to watch for is the inside temp in a car can get to 160 deg F and close to 100 percent humidity. (Think Florida in the middle of summer) Some materials have problems with that.

BTW how big can you print? LxWxH

I have a large part that I want to print for test fitting. I figured I would have to print it in sections.

Something to watch for is the inside temp in a car can get to 160 deg F and close to 100 percent humidity. (Think Florida in the middle of summer) Some materials have problems with that.
Yes, I've accounted for that. I'm using ASA which softens at around 212F

BTW how big can you print? LxWxH

I have a large part that I want to print for test fitting. I figured I would have to print it in sections.
Good thinking.

@KevinB I don’t know how hot the inside of a car can get but at 212*f, that’s quite toasty! Is there any material that can survive hotter temps?

Good thinking.

@KevinB I don’t know how hot the inside of a car can get but at 212*f, that’s quite toasty! Is there any material that can survive hotter temps?
Certainly but everything comes with a tradeoff, right? ASA is similar to ABS, which is already used extensively in cars, but ABS can withstand higher temps. The drawbacks of ABS are it's not UV stable (though most of my printing will be painted), and ABS is a pain to print in large pieces, as it warps very easily as it's printing. As the part starts to cool from the 240c degrees of extrusion temperature to the 100c of the heated bed it begins to shrink in reaction to the stretching it has undergone in extrusion. As it shrinks, the edges of the print begin to pull away from the bed, resulting in a bottom surface that is curved. I've had much better printing with ASA so the tradeoff is worth it. There are other more exotic materials such as Nylon, and variations that infuse carbon fiber, but there are huge drawbacks in terms of wear on the printer and it's just not worth it in the long term. I've been printing with ABS and ASA for over a year now, and have now all the tricks you have to do with these higher temp materials

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but Fusion 360 can be used for either CNC stuff, or just design in general, but it's definately a CAD/CAM centered program
That would be G code programing, as in G1 linear feed, G2 and G3 circular interpretation and G0 rapid traverse.

That would be G code programing, as in G1 linear feed, G2 and G3 circular interpretation and G0 rapid traverse.
Yes, 3d printers run on Gcode, but there are many more parameters specified in printing than cnc. xyz movement of course, but also temperature, acceleration, line height/width, speed, part fan cooling, extruder fan cooling, limiting movements to within printed areas, the list goes on and on. All of that programming is done by the slicing software based on the settings you choose for the printer, for the filament, and for the model...though I think fusion can do it to an extent, but it can't keep up with features specific to newer printers

I’m thinking the software takes into account all the variables that you prompt it with and it moves point to point which would make for a very long, large program. Lot of data. Technology has come a long way since the advent of 3D printing.

I’m thinking the software takes into account all the variables that you prompt it with and it moves point to point which would make for a very long, large program. Lot of data. Technology has come a long way since the advent of 3D printing.
I don't have a basis for comparison, but something like the radio bracket I printed for the rotating radio module is a 24MB gcode

Second scan looks much better, just able to spend more time on it.

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 3.06.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 3.06.16 PM.png

hi have you ever thought about making a panel for cars that have the large speedometer, useing round gauges as replacements ,there are pictures on this web site, thanks brian

hi have you ever thought about making a panel for cars that have the large speedometer, useing round gauges as replacements ,there are pictures on this web site, thanks brian
that's exactly what I'm doing, my original gauges was the long wide speedo. I'm converting to all circle gauges

Update: Finding it hard to directly work with the scan as it's just too damn big, something like 4M+ triangles. It chokes the computers. So instead I'm sort of recreating it in a form I can work with. Note the notches and sort of strange contour on the bottom of the gauge opening is from me hacking at it to get the prototype to fit. You won't see that in the end obviously.

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 1.48.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 1.48.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 1.48.37 PM.png

And for ***** and giggles, the scan plus the panels I'm simulating it with, PLUS the model of the original prototype
Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 2.06.39 PM.png

Last edited:
lots of further progress today, got the rebuilt gauge cluster mostly done. I know it looks the same as the prototype, apart from the cutouts for lights, key, etc...but I'm pretty fond of the design I had come up with, so I will likely tweak and improve it a bit but it will mostly be similar.
Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 6.00.13 PM.png

-
Back