I'm a first timer too !

-

nicoles

Reaction score
Came across this wed site today . though I'd drop in .bought a 66 cuda in nice shape for my daughters first car . She picked it out !It a nice car but put a couple upgrades on it to keep her safe.Power disk brakes on the front ,poly-graph bushings and electronic eginition. now i'm looking to up grade the rear brakes and steering anybody have any sugestions that worked for you? I'd love to hear them! thanks Don :thumbup:

Welcome. You must have raised your daughter right, seems like kids all want ricers these days :sad:

Have a read through the various forums here, suspension, brakes, lots of good info in there.

Welcome nicoles, those are all sound upgrades. The steering could benefit from a check of all ball joints, tie rod ends ,pitman, and idler arms. If anything has play in it then replace it. Next get a good frt. end alignment. The steering coupler (the part that joins the column to the steering gear) can be replaced with a modern U-joint made by Flaming River. I did it on my 68 and it made a huge difference. The front end/steering would also benefit from a set of lower control arm stiffeners and a pair of solid tie rods with jamb nuts. All of these things shouldn`t cost more than a couple hundred dollars granted that all of the frt. end parts are in good shape. HTH.

Thanks for the info Lone gone. The front end disk brake kit came with ball joints ,tie rod ends ,idler arm and all the assorted parts ,Took it to a local front end shop had him do the alinement and set ride hight.The steering still has a little wonder lust in it , since I'm use to old cars it ok with me but Nicole can't get use to not fighting the wheel.I want to adjust the steering box but not sure how to do that. Did the steering coulpler bolt right on or did you have to work on it ?

Thanks Rob! Nicole grow up around old cars. We ran a 62 Valaint wagon for 7 years as I worked on my 52 ford truck.she enjoys the looks of older cars.we have a 37 5 window uitilty coup waiting to be the next one up.

nicoles said:
Thanks for the info Lone gone. The front end disk brake kit came with ball joints ,tie rod ends ,idler arm and all the assorted parts ,Took it to a local front end shop had him do the alinement and set ride hight.The steering still has a little wonder lust in it , since I'm use to old cars it ok with me but Nicole can't get use to not fighting the wheel.I want to adjust the steering box but not sure how to do that. Did the steering coulpler bolt right on or did you have to work on it ?

I have manual steering on my 68 and I had to remove the steering column, cut a small amount off it,(this is very important MEASURE FIRST and DONT JUST CUT WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO CUT) drill a hole in the shaft, and reinstall it. Took a little over an hour and made a big difference. Before I installed the new coupler the steering wheel would float all over and that was with an entirely rebuilt front end, steering gear, and coupler. Definitely a modification I would make for your daughter, it`ll give the wheel a "modern" feel.

welcome, good car to have and glad the daughter likes stuff with character(back when cars were designed on drafting tables not on CAD). you seem to have already gotten good advice.

Welcome and glad you got her in an A bodie.
Take a look around and enjoy.

Welcome..There's a few girls around here with A-bodies....(really)! Glad to have ya and it's the best place to be...(almost) :thumbup: :thumbup:

pic4.JPG

Rob said:
Welcome. You must have raised your daughter right, seems like kids all want ricers these days...

No kidding - even though my firiends tease me about my daughter driveing a '69 Olds 442, at least it's classic american!

-
Back