I'm a tig welder!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
!!NOT!!! LOL Dragged home this HF unit. I'm off to the basement to tear the cover off, inspect and clean some of the dust out, and see if it actually works. Never heard of this company, tho.................

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/3469025862.html

S.D.LEE UNIVESAL HIGH FREQUENCY ARC STABILIZER - $75 (CHATTAROY)

Date: 2012-12-19, 9:40AM PST
[email protected][?] S.D.LEE UNIVESAL HIGH FREQUENCY ARC STABILIZER. This stabilizer is used for tig welding.

you can used your ac. arc welder to do aluminum tig. welding. Stock No. 115-4 Primary volts 115

Secondary volts 3500.

Call. Les. (509) 385-4322
3F23J23H55Na5J55Macca5b4a63abd1db133c.jpg

have the torch,flowmeter,gas etc. to see how it does?

This is going to be a very low buck "deal." I picked up most of a torch and fittings, complete with a couple packages of electrodes at the thrift store. I'm hoping the addition of a bottle is most of the cost of what I'll need

Doug, I can't afford that kind of stuff!!! I do have a LIncoln 180 series MIG, a smaller 120V Linc I've had for years, and my old AC/ DC Century stick welder

My understanding is that this unit was made by Century for a whole BUNCH of people, including LInde, Sears, and some others.

I fired it up alone, and it generates an HF arc, so it seems to work!!!

REAL dirty inside. From the looks of the condition of the spark gap, I doubt it has been used much

Sweet man!!That's the next tool on my list, Ya can't beat a high frequency weld... nice'n clean!!:burnout:

Update,...........finally got ahold of an Argon bottle and "laid" my first ever TIG bead last night, so here's some questions..................

The torch is an old HW-9 Linde, evidently ESAB now. But the welding stores in town act like I'm looking for forbidden fruit. A "quick look" last night seems to indicate that Weldcraft is popular and reasonable.

Would you agree? What are you guys using for a torch, and what model seems to be reasonably priced and easy to get parts for?

Now, I only played with this thing for 1/2 hr or so last night, but my initial thoughts are, WHY didn't I round up one of these YEARS ago?

Update,...........finally got ahold of an Argon bottle and "laid" my first ever TIG bead last night, so here's some questions..................

The torch is an old HW-9 Linde, evidently ESAB now. But the welding stores in town act like I'm looking for forbidden fruit. A "quick look" last night seems to indicate that Weldcraft is popular and reasonable.

Would you agree? What are you guys using for a torch, and what model seems to be reasonably priced and easy to get parts for?

Now, I only played with this thing for 1/2 hr or so last night, but my initial thoughts are, WHY didn't I round up one of these YEARS ago?

To start with apparently the welding stores in town don't know anything. Must be the Autozone of welding supply shops. Second the HW-9 is a good 125 amp air cooled torch for light welding and can use any of the more commonly found Weldcraft 9 series consumables. Linde started the trend and Weldcraft copied their design. If you are set on a new torch then get a Weldcraft as they are reasonably priced.

can use any of the more commonly found Weldcraft 9 series consumables. Linde started the trend and Weldcraft copied their design. If you are set on a new torch then get a Weldcraft as they are reasonably priced.

I sort of concluded they might be "the same" when searching last night. This is what I needed to hear. I'll order a couple of Weldcraft collets if you think they fit and make sure.

There's nothing wrong with this torch so long as I can get parts for it. I got a couple of boxes of ceramics with it as well, a song and dance at the thrift store!!!!

One of the local stores is OxArc they are "supposed" to be a real store. They carry Miller and other brands.

We have a couple around here that are supposed to be real shops also. Still have plenty of guys wind up at my shop after the others tell them they can't get something or that it will not work. Not sure if you have the option on your high freq box or not but keep the high freq continuous for doing aluminum and start only for doing steel. Also keep the electronics away from it. They don't play well together.

View attachment IMG_0068 (470x800).jpg This is my tig. I is a Miller econo-tig and hi freq box and dynaflux cooler. I have only used wp9 air cooled torch an freq box. I have a wp18 water cooled torch that I have not tried yet. I will tell what ever you use wear glove and a welding jacket. Tig arc will burn bare skin. Ask me how I know?

Tig welding is not as hard as everyone says it is. Within a couple hours I was laying down some serious beads. Built and welded off a ford 9" complete with all the 4 link brackets which was my first project with the new old school Linde Tig. This unit is 480V Compatable if you pull the side cover. Serious Military Grade Old School.

Here are a few pics of a couple projects. Welding an oily rear end housing is tough. Oil and grime comes out from everywhere no matter how much you blast or clean it.

View attachment IMG_4678.jpg

View attachment IMG_4677.jpg

View attachment phpgb7bsEPM.jpg

View attachment phpXhTRygPM.jpg

View attachment phphIvzS5PM.jpg

View attachment IMG_4359.jpg

I like this thread .....welding is a miracle that makes anything possible :prayer:

Thanks guys. I'll get out this aft. and play some more. At first I thought the regulator which is a huge heavy double stage unit, might be junk, as someone had pulled both gauges off for some reason. But because it already had the special adapter installed for the flow meter, I decided to try it, just screwed the gauges back in and tried it. Heck, seems to work FINE.

For general use, what do you guys run for flow numbers? I had mine clear down below 10 last night and seemed to do fine in calm inside air.

-
Back