I'm back

-

Mattwood440

Reaction score
Hi all. I was just a teen in the 90s but I got addicted to mopars at the age of 17. I've had a 70 gtx, 70 fc7 super bee, and a 72 duster 340. That was back when the super bee cost me $8000. I was a repair technician at a Chrysler dealership up until 2003. Then life changed. Now 20 years later I'm hopefully going to get another Mopar, but it seems like I may have been priced out of the market. Oh the regrets I have !:mad:

Welcome back! Be patient, cool deals show up. Looks like you are the right guy for the job!

IMG_0962.jpeg

Welcome, this is the place to be! You'll find something, just hold on to your cash till the right time, then jump on it fast, before someone else does! When one pops up, be prepared to move on it

Don’t have regrets. You did what needed to be done back then and that’s that. (Sign of a good mind and a good Man.)

The A bodies are still affordable but I doubt you’ll find a really nice one under $15K. I got my last two Dusters at $700 & $1700.
I know they’re junkers but that’s Okay. It just makes them more fun for me.

No motor or trans in ether, both needed rear end upgrades.
My kind of toy! The ‘71 needs floors and a trundle floor.
The ‘74 needs doors only and minor outside work. I did add wheels and tires.

64666559269__31AE686F-3D7B-40ED-A7F3-71CD0A6563B4.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

69196653185__B0E2FFB2-7C64-46CD-949E-76149C933DEF.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

Don’t have regrets. You did what needed to be done back then and that’s that. (Sign of a good mind and a good Man.)

The A bodies are still affordable but I doubt you’ll find a really nice one under $15K. I got my last two Dusters at $700 & $1700.

My kind of toy! The ‘71 needs floors and a trundle floor.
The ‘74 needs doors only and minor outside work. I did add wheels and tires.

View attachment 1716118651

View attachment 1716118652

View attachment 1716118654

View attachment 1716118655

View attachment 1716118656
Many Regrets here also, Brother! My latest one is I can't find the keys to the Duster or the title and I'm starting a moving process

Many Regrets here also, Brother! My latest one is I can't find the keys to the Duster or the title and I'm starting a moving process
I don’t really have any regrets. At first, yea, but, it’s OK. There’s always more out there and not much of a reason to get the same one over again except for Dusters and E body Cúda’s.
My favorite 2 Plymouths.

If I could afford a ‘70 big block 4 spd Road Runner….. I would.
Bucket list car kind of thing.

Do t have regrets. You did what needed to be done back then and that’s that. (Sign of a good mind and a Man.)

My kind of toy!
You're right! Nice dusters! That's what I'm looking for. Something I can drive and fix up at the same time. I live right off the main parkway heading into pigeon forge and see all these classics taunting me every day :p

Last edited:
You're right! Nice dusters! That's what I'm looking for. Something I can drive and fix up at the same time. I live right off the main parkway heading into pigeon forge and see all these
classics taunting me every day :p
If I lived there I would spend all my money on custom hand built knives. You are in a custom knife Mecca. Be patient and you will find something! Welcome aboard

Welcome! There are still deals to be had and I hope you find one !

Whats the budget and goals? Like SB/BB or trans type? Give us a rundown "in a perfect world" scenario. There is a "If it were closer" thread somewhere on here that has stuff all the time. Oh.........Whats your distance maximum you are willing to travel is another one.

WELCOME!!

Whats the budget and goals? Like SB/BB or trans type? Give us a rundown "in a perfect world" scenario. There is a "If it were closer" thread somewhere on here that has stuff all the time. Oh.........Whats your distance maximum you are willing to travel is another one.

WELCOME!!
Thanks! I actually drove over 4 hours last week to check out a demon that didn't really do it for me for their asking price. My dream car? I want my super bee back lol. I have a thing for fc7 cars, but I also have a thing about keeping the original color and year-correct options including stripes. I'd be happy as a clam with a 71-72 duster, with the 70 duster and 71-72 demons a close 2nd (I prefer the 340 call-out stripes). The 67-69 barracudas are also sweet! I've never been a dart fan (no offense!). I doubt there's any affordable B or E bodies. Non-numbers matching is fine. My bee was a 383 that was swapped for a 440 six pack, and my 72 duster (which was an h code in fe5 red) had a high compression 71 motor. I'd prefer an auto so my wife could drive it too. I'm trying to stay under $24k, but that price would tap me out for awhile. The good thing is I can fix anything and have a lift! But I don't do body work so that would also factor into what I would be forced to spend right up front (a car with no floors would not work for me, lol).

Thanks for all the welcomes! I should have joined a long time ago. Mopar folks still rock!

First and foremost, welcome to FABO. Bunch of great people here and lots of help to be had.

...20 years later I'm hopefully going to get another Mopar, but it seems like I may have been priced out of the market. Oh the regrets I have!
I felt the same way for a long time. The two best things I can tell you are be patient and keep your nose to the ground. Because...

There are still deals to be had and I hope you find one !
This is absolutely correct. I keep finding them myself and can't say no. If I had a wife, she'd kill me... I'm up to six cars and negotiating #7.

I doubt there's any affordable B or E bodies. Non-numbers matching is fine.
Two weeks ago I bought a 1971 Challenger, 318/3-speed AC car. The underhood AC system is 100% complete and the car is solid. It needs a lot but it's all there, including intact frame rails, T-bar crossmember, and trunk extensions (!). What's the going rate for solid V8/manual-trans 1970-'71 E-bodies these days? Probably more than the $2,500 I paid.

Patience. Nose to the ground. They're out there.

The good thing is I can fix anything and have a lift! But I don't do body work so that would also factor into what I would be forced to spend right up front (a car with no floors would not work for me, lol).
You don't need to be able to do bodywork, per se. I'm nobody's tin man, but my '74 Challenger (not the '71) needed a roof due to Gulf-shore livin' with a vinyl top. I'd never attempted anything like that in my life. I changed it anyway, plus part of one quarter panel at the roof seam and the rear deck filler in my garage. Then I shipped it off to the body man, because the car will be black. Black's too touchy for me to attempt it on my first overall. Anyhow, I've since done full-length floor pans and a frame rail on my '69 Valiant. If replacements are available, I no longer fear The Rust Demon.
Panel replacement isn't difficult (a roof is probably the hardest) if you take your time and are careful. You can leave the filling, sanding, primer and paint to a pro if you prefer. I did.

The '74 factory roof, into which some idiot cut holes to remove rust:

P5250045.JPG

Removed:

P7080268.JPG

And, after structural repairs and a bunch of behind-the-scenes surface prep, the new roof installed:

100_0464.JPG

If you're curious about how I did this completely by myself (nobody to help lift the panel), I used ratchet straps hanging from a light fixture and the garage-door rails to raise and lower the roof panel for test fitting (something I did 14 times):

100_0419.JPG

everything is negotiable NOT my car
No worries, here’s the thing in the quote below.
Hi all. I was just a teen in the 90s ————
Now 20 years later I'm hopefully going to get another Mopar, but it seems like I may have been priced out of the market.
How is a 39K Duster many states away from Tn. helping this middle aged fella out?
Everything is negotiable? Ahhhhhh, come on man!!!!! Come on!!!

Ya know what, @Mattwood440 , what’s your price range?

LOL, not my favorite color….. but it would do color wise. IDGAF much on color. Though pink is OUT!!!

Not a car salesman but what you may not know is I saw a 69 shell sit there for 2 years. If you hit him with the right number anything could happen.
Everything is negotiable? Ahhhhhh, come on man!!!!! Come on!!!

Ya know what, @Mattwood440 , what’s your price range?
Inquiring minds want to know. And what would be the perfect car?

Not a car salesman but what you may not know is I saw a 69 shell sit there for 2 years. If you hit him with the right number anything could happen.
That’s true and good to know.
Inquiring minds want to know. And what would be the perfect car?
The one you wanted in great condition for the price of a smile & a genuine thank you.

NoCar360: that is impressive and rather inspiring!
"Inspiring" was kind of the idea of posting about it. It's not that hard, you just have to be willing to try. Oh, and buy a lot of clamps.

I actually like fm3 pink. Probably score some points with the wife, lol.
"Car #7" I referenced in my post above is an M3 car. I can't get the guy to give me a firm number on it, otherwise I'd already own that one too!

Y'all are killing me :rofl:

NoCar360: that is impressive and rather inspiring!

Brown is...doable. I actually like fm3 pink. Probably score some points with the wife, lol.
crash course ..... put an "@" sign before the members name you are attracting to your statement.

@Mattwood440

See?

Also, I dont know this dealer from a hole in the ground, but I see he has what seems to be nice cars. Maybe he might get a clean body in and makes a few bucks selling it to you? He does some horse trading according to his "lot walkaround" videos.

Maple Motors Inc. - Hendersonville, TN

-
Back