Im bogging on take off, any ideas.

-

autologus

Wrencher wanabe
Reaction score
Hey, I could use some ideas. I do not have much experience with fuel systems and am haveing some bad bogging problems on take off. I have a bone stock 340 4 barrel and from a dead stop when you stomp it, it boggs then steadily pulls off. I can be at a roll and stomp it and it will bogg, but just get on it hard and it will take off and bark 2nd gear. Any ideas? I was planning on rebuilding the carb when I start restoration but was wondering if it just needs some adjustment or minor parts replaced.

Grady

I was having the same problem, and I cured with replacing the fuel filter.

Sounds like the accelerator pump may need to be replaced. If you rebuild the carb. a new plunger will come with the kit. What year is the engine? I'm assuming you have either an AVS or a Thermoquad if it is stock. Either one I would look at the accelerator pump first.

It should be a thermoquad unless someone has replaced it. Besides the accelerator pump, the secondary air valve may be out of adjustment allowing it to open too soon. If it opens too soon you will get a bog.

Ill try the filter first for the quick fix, and if that dose not cure it I may just break down and rebuild it now so I can have a better driving experence. It is also hard to start and and has to warm up a bit before it will idle.

-
Back