I'm building a 396" stroker

-

hotram03

Reaction score
My 340 blew Sat. nite coming back from a local cruise in while I was racing a buddy of mine in a mustang. I had this crank I had bought years back. I was wondering what a stroker combo like this might be worth powerwise. Heres the details: 340 bored .040 over, 3.79 stroke mopar forged crank, ross pistons 1/16 rings, 0 decked block, balanced, eagle h beams, arp main studs, milodon deep pan, high vol oil pump,lifter valley tray, x-heads done by hughs 2.02-1.60 lots of tricks, 10.75.1 comp, racer brown solid .560" lift- [email protected]" lift, 1.5 roller rockers, edelbrock rpm air gap, hughes HVH spacer, quick fuel 850 carb, electric fan, electric water pump drive, fluidamper bal, underdrive pulleys, arp head bolts, TTI 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers, all MSD(dist,6al,coil) blocks honed with torque plate, block and crank superstock indexed to make sure each throw is 90 deg. I believe thats all I don't know as to the bobweight just yet as I have don't have the pistons yet, just started this little deal but I have everything else. Let me know and thanks.

What kind of transmission are you going to run and what gears, as thats alot of cam for the compression that your going to have. And scrap the 1 5/8 hedders and go with the 1 7/8 and you'll be far better off for the CI's.

My 340 blew Sat. nite coming back from a local cruise in while I was racing a buddy of mine in a mustang. I had this crank I had bought years back. I was wondering what a stroker combo like this might be worth powerwise. Heres the details: 340 bored .040 over, ross pistons 1/16 rings, 0 decked block, balanced, eagle h beams, arp main studs, milodon deep pan, high vol oil pump,lifter valley tray, x-heads done by hughs 2.02-1.60 lots of tricks, 10.75.1 comp, racer brown solid .560" lift- [email protected]" lift, 1.5 roller rockers, edelbrock rpm air gap, hughes HVH spacer, quick fuel 850 carb, electric fan, electric water pump drive, fluidamper bal, underdrive pulleys, arp head bolts, TTI 1 5/8 to 1 7/8 step headers, all MSD(dist,6al,coil) blocks honed with torque plate, block and crank superstock indexed to make sure each throw is 90 deg. I believe thats all I don't know as to the bobweight just yet as I have don't have the pistons yet, just started this little deal but I have everything else. Let me know and thanks.

Why not 1.6 rockers?

Tranny is a A833 4-speed, standard a-body gearing internally for a '70 dart, I got it from Brewers Performance, has McCleod street twin disc, Inline V-gate hurts shifter, 4.10 rear with spool. I wouldn't mind doing 1.6 roller rockers, just right now my budget wont let me, but maybe later. Would 11.1 comp be better? I was trying to stay on pump gas is all, I've already got a race fuel W-2 motor and don't need another one.

I originally had Hooker 1 3/4 Super Comps on this car and HATE!!! how much of a PITA they are to take on and off, thats the reason I wanted to go with the TTI's step header, think these are going to hurt the performance of this motor? Who's headers would anyone recommend and how well do they fit?

I personally would go with a cam something in the 245-255 range @ .050 with a 108/116 CL. I think that if you had problems with a 1 3/4 hedder then the 1 5/8 step to 1 7/8 may still give you a pita around the steering. If this is going to be a street only or mostly car then because of the mufflers a 1 5/8 hedder will work just as good as the step without the added hassles IMO. The main restriction is the muffler not the hedder or pipe. Everything else sounds good in the combo.

The TTIs are 1-5/8" to 1-3/4", not 1-7/8"

You most likely loose some power over the Hookers and I personally feel 396 cubes and 500+ hp would like a 1-7/8" tube but choices are limited and nothing is going to fit as well as the TTIs.

Tranny is a A833 4-speed, standard a-body gearing internally for a '70 dart, I got it from Brewers Performance, has McCleod street twin disc, Inline V-gate hurts shifter, 4.10 rear with spool. I wouldn't mind doing 1.6 roller rockers, just right now my budget wont let me, but maybe later. Would 11.1 comp be better? I was trying to stay on pump gas is all, I've already got a race fuel W-2 motor and don't need another one.

Anything above 10.5 CR is real iffy with street gas. Do you have an E85 station nearby?

Are you going to replace the heads?

Well I'm staying with the TTI's I've already ordered them and I'm tired of battling those D$%N hookers. Sorry. Yes this is a street and show car, but I'm not at all afraid to take it to the track and let it rip. I think the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 will be ok for power, I have 2 1/2" exhaust, with 2 chamber flowmasters turn down at the rearend. I always add 1 gal 114 sunoco to 10 gals of 93 amoco gas, I may have to do more, maybe, will cross that bridge when I get there. No, I'm not replacing my x-heads they have extensive work on them.

10.5 to one compression with open chambered heads is probably too much to expect to run on pump gas. Not sure 1 gallon of 114 will be enough to make it run right either. Bobby's suggestion for the cam is right on. The first one you listed was too big for that compression ratio. On paper the 3.79 stroke engine looks great. Just haven't seen one run at the track. If those heads have correctly been worked over it shouldn't have any problem going 500 hp with 10 to 1 com., open headers using a cam size Bobby recommended and a M1 intake. An air gap intake is a great intake but I think you'd benefit from a M1 with a build like that since this combo should rev to 7000. With an air-gap you'll have monster low end though.

The Racer Brown ST-23 looks pretty good but the lift in only .502 so to get the full use of your heads you'll probably need 1.6 arms.

Hmmm, looks like I will be half and half then on the race fuel huh? You all are saying that if I want to run this particular cam then I will have to run race fuel in the car for it to run right and not detonate. Not because its the wrong size period right? Is this a good cam for all out performance from this combo? I have a mopar 296 duration .557 lift does this sound better? let me know, when I say better its only so I could run pump gas, but I think I'm looking for more performance than cheap fuel, lol.

Are you sure the cubes are 396? Maybe 392? I run a similar set up in a race boat. W2s an 14 to 1 compression. on the dyno it was 651 horses at 7000. Think you can run pump gas at your compression if you get the squish right.

Yeah a 390" cid would be a stock bore 340 mine is .040" overbore or 396". .030" would make a 394" if I'm right on my math. I guess a 392" would be .020 correct me if I'm wrong here. My x-heads are 66 cc chambers they have all been equalized, but still nothing as small a chamber like on a W-2 style of head though. So I'm hoping pump gas want be a problem, if it is I can put a shorter duration cam in it and be ok.

That racer brown cam is an STX-21 .560" lift-.560" lift on both sides of the ball. I have decided to put my M-1 intake back on it, instead of using the airgap. My M-1 has had a Jean Dittmer super turtle installed in the floor with a spacer that blends it together. Helps with the airflow they said.

-
Back