I'M GLAD I HAVE NO KIDS

-
Oops... Meant to add quote
This and the clown that sold an AR15 to a teen ager ! You`d think a background check would show he was a nut case from yrs. past. I was raised around guns, had my first one when I was 6 yrs. old, my dad taught me how and what NOT to do with them.

When it comes to kids; it is all about the parenting skills & being involved !
i generally don't reply to threads like this because I come here for cars. However, I'll just say you are "mostly" right. Good parents and all make a huge impact/difference. But it is not ALL about parenting skills and being involved. I personally know some of the best parents being active, involved, supportive, and still end up with a kid that CHOOSES with their OWN mind to be everything society does not want to deal with.
  • Oh, by the way, I've known worthless parents, bad in the worst ways have kids that turn out to be A+ in life!
Parents play a huge part. No mistake about it. But, in the end, minds have the power to think.

This and the clown that sold an AR15 to a teen ager ! You`d think a background check would show he was a nut case from yrs. past. I was raised around guns, had my first one when I was 6 yrs. old, my dad taught me how and what NOT to do with them.

how is the AR different from the gun you got when you were six?
if i recall, one of the first large school shootings, the weapon used was a ruger 10-22, hardly a fear instilling weapon (though, to the trained person, each weapon should instill a certain amount of fear, or respect, if you will)

my point is, you cant hold the person who sold him the gun responsible (no matter what certain political persuasions claim)IF the gun was sold within the confines of the law

I am so fortunate to have two great daughters. And I really believe that my kids' generation will fix the mess previous generations (Mine included) have created. It'll take awhile for sure, but making compassion, compromise and kindness to others more important than all the BS, hate, intolerance and self centered stands that people find important today will go a long way. IMO.

Be well folks,
Pat

The irony is that our modern fear of society directly contributes to the dangers of society. For the last few decades kids have been ever increasingly locked-up in the house, overly supervised, helicoptered, kept away from Mentors and role models etc. and the products that safety culture produces are young people incapable of conflict resolution or grasping the basic fundamentals of liberty, freedom, and self responsibility.

How can we expect most young adults to value other's rights and freedoms if they never experienced them for themselves?

Deviant kids come from any and all family types (and always will). We have no choice in the matter and must accept that sad fact of life and live with it.

However, in recent years, there does seem to be a pattern of these "deviant" types coming of age sooner and sooner.

How does this kid purchase that equipment at his age legally. I just can't believe it! The laws must change right now

How does this kid purchase that equipment at his age legally. I just can't believe it! The laws must change right now
He just would have selected a different kind of weapon. The problem was in the brain that decided to do it, not the tools selected for the job. He could have caused 3x the horror with a few Molotov cocktails or some homemade pipe bombs with nails inside instead of a rifle.

You folks do realize we have pretty close to the same number of guns per capita as you do here in Canada but you never hear of school shootings here , hmmm wonder why eh ? could it be that the reason someones kid is an ahole isn't society's fault or video games or access to guns ? could it be parenting ? could those of you who say you know great parents with ahole kids maybe not know what great parenting is ? If we are going to have this conversation lets make it an honest one yes bad kids can come from decent people but there is a limit to how bad that kid will be , lashing out when they don't get their way is the act of an unchecked 2 year old and show a parent who may have loved and cherished their child but not enough to kick their *** when they acted that way every time until they knew that was the result of that sort of behavior .Fact proven by the only large sample long term study on the subject of physical punishment proved that children who are not spanked earn 40% income as adults are 8 times more likely to be caught up in the criminal justice system and the real telling stat -16 times more likely to re-offend . Guns don't kill people murderers kill people , In my childhood every adult in the neighbourhood was allowed to smack me if I got out of line and god help me if I ran home and complained about it because I would get a beating to remember for embarrassing the family with my behavior .

You folks do realize we have pretty close to the same number of guns per capita as you do here in Canada but you never hear of school shootings here , hmmm wonder why eh ? could it be that the reason someones kid is an ahole isn't society's fault or video games or access to guns ? could it be parenting ? could those of you who say you know great parents with ahole kids maybe not know what great parenting is ? If we are going to have this conversation lets make it an honest one yes bad kids can come from decent people but there is a limit to how bad that kid will be , lashing out when they don't get their way is the act of an unchecked 2 year old and show a parent who may have loved and cherished their child but not enough to kick their *** when they acted that way every time until they knew that was the result of that sort of behavior .Fact proven by the only large sample long term study on the subject of physical punishment proved that children who are not spanked earn 40% income as adults are 8 times more likely to be caught up in the criminal justice system and the real telling stat -16 times more likely to re-offend . Guns don't kill people murderers kill people , In my childhood every adult in the neighbourhood was allowed to smack me if I got out of line and god help me if I ran home and complained about it because I would get a beating to remember for embarrassing the family with my behavior .

I have to disagree with you on the guns per capita reference. In fact that is purely just incorrect.

US has 89 firearms per 100 people.
Canada has 31 firearms per 100 people.

Now when you break that number down. The 31 firearms are like 29 rifle/shotguns used for hunting leaving 2 per 100 for pistols. Assault rifles and machine guns are prohibited. Are they out there in Canada? Yes of course. But not as many as America.

As for the rest of your argument, I can't agree more. I know if I ever mis-spoke to another adult or did something my parents would woop my ***.

Guns do kill people when they are freely available. Buying a gun in Canada vs the USA is much, much harder. In fact most pistols are prohibited in Canada thus not available for purchase from a store or dealer. Even if the firearm is restricted it's quite difficult to obtain. I have friends in Michigan who can walk into a firearm store and walk out an hour later holding a pistol.

Riddler

It isn’t about the culture nor the tools. People don’t realize that there have been mass shootings at schools for over 100 years in the US.

During the 1890s, 10 schoolchildren and 1 school teacher were killed in one shooting. Another where 4 schoolchildren and 14 others of unknown age were killed. Between them, 1 high school Professor and 18 others were wounded.

As a percentage of the population, the same percent were killed and wounded in the late 1800s as were killed and injured in the late 1900s.

The shooters in the 1800s had zero cultural commonality with the shooters in the 1900s. The only thing in common was between the ears of the people deciding to do it.

The solution lies in detecting and treating people before they go down the path of destroying innocent lives.

I have friends in Michigan who can walk into a firearm store and walk out an hour later holding a pistol.

Riddler

He must have spend a good 45 minutes looking around, if it took him that long

-
Back