I'm going to Taiwan and China

-

GotDart

Reaction score
I found out last night that I'll be spending New Years Day on a plane headed for Taiwan on a business trip. :shock: My first 3 weeks of 2005 will be in Taipei, Shanghai, and maybe Hong Kong. This will be my first trip over there. Anybody been there and have any advice? Guess I better start liking Chinese food, huh?

I have never been to China or Taiwan, but have been to S. Korea and Japan. You'll will be surprised at how Westernized the main cities are. Your hotel might be American (Hilton, Mariot etc.) You will even see McDonalds and probably KFC maybe even Walmart. All the hotel receptionists and whoever else should speak pretty good English with maybe a slight accent(Hotels are used to having English speaking people on business) The cab drivers will know English, but only as good as some of the cabbies in New York. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem, most of schools within Asian cities teach English as second language anyway.

I`ve been to all three. That was back in the 70`s when I was in the Marines aboard ship. Our ship pulled into these ports for liberty. We got in a fight with British troops in Hong Kong. We kicked their *** and got out of the bar before the shore patrol arrived. They started it we finished it, not one of them standing when we left.

The last time I was in Taipei and Hong Kong was in 76. I really didn't care for school so my mom took me on a month long trip throughout asia. Went just about everywhere over there. You can find some great knock offs of all the designer stuff. Get a couple of tailor made suits in Hong Kong, they got some pretty good tailors there.

-
Back