I'm going to try bodywork.

-

hemizach

Young Blood
Reaction score
Well guys... it's what I want to do after highschool so I thought I would venture into doing some bodywork on my rampage. I figure I will try it out on the hood since it's relatively flat and looks like crap already :p

Basically what I am asking from you is to tell me how to go about doing this. How should I sand the paint off, what filler do I buy, when to apply and sand the filler, the basics on HOW to sand everything... what primer will work, etc.

I know there are a lot of questions but if anyone knows how to paint and can just explain the process in steps, I think that's all I need.

Thanks in advance.

one word of advice,

don't.

Thats what all the body guys I know told me before I went to school for it. It gets old fast and can kill you quickly if you don't take percations.
It's nice to see the instant results but it's not a profession for everyone.

on you hood do a little hammer/dolly work and unstrech the metal where the dent is. you can also use some heat with rapid cooling. take it down with a 40grit mudhog after you are done shrinking then smooth it out with a small amount of filler. (local auto paint supply store will have some decent stuff) sand with 80 then 180 then high build primer and 320.

I am sure some of the other body people will chime in, the method I described is fairly simple but try it on a piece of scrap so you don't banger up your hood.

one word of advice,

don't.

Thats what all the body guys I know told me before I went to school for it. It gets old fast and can kill you quickly if you don't take percations.
It's nice to see the instant results but it's not a profession for everyone.

on you hood do a little hammer/dolly work and unstrech the metal where the dent is. you can also use some heat with rapid cooling. take it down with a 40grit mudhog after you are done shrinking then smooth it out with a small amount of filler. (local auto paint supply store will have some decent stuff) sand with 80 then 180 then high build primer and 320.

I am sure some of the other body people will chime in, the method I described is fairly simple but try it on a piece of scrap so you don't banger up your hood.

This is what I want to do with my life and I honestly don't care what anyone else says about it. I'm not trying to be snippy with you I just could care less what other people say about it. I know guys that absolutely love it and wouldnt want to do anything else. When you're serious about getting into something then nobody can stop you.

And there is no dent in my hood? Thanks for the info on the primer and sanding though.

And if anyone else would like to tell me what I should and shouldnt do with MY future or MY life... then keep it to yourself please. It's my future not yours. You should all be thankful there's a young gun willing to get into this kind of work, because without young guys like me... there will be nobody to do it later.

If that's what you want to do go for it.
It's your choice.
More power to you.
It sounds like you have a lot of determination and you put it towards
a career in auto body you'll be a good body man.
Don't let any one discourage you.

Good luck

If that's what you want to do go for it.
It's your choice.
More power to you.
It sounds like you have a lot of determination and you put it towards
a career in auto body you'll be a good body man.
Don't let any one discourage you.

Good luck

Thanks... I'm sorry if I sounded like a little prick I just get extremely touchy when I'm told no before I even get a chance... it's not the first time it's happened.

Anyway, back on subject... I know I can use an orbital sander to get most of the paint off but I need to know how to get this thing smooth and painted guys!

This is what I want to do with my life and I honestly don't care what anyone else says about it. I'm not trying to be snippy with you I just could care less what other people say about it. I know guys that absolutely love it and wouldnt want to do anything else. When you're serious about getting into something then nobody can stop you.

And there is no dent in my hood? Thanks for the info on the primer and sanding though.

dude I just turned 21 and just got my AA in collision repair. Don't let people discourage you but did you even read what I said?

"Thats what all the body guys I know told me before I went to school for it. It gets old fast and can kill you quickly if you don't take percations.
It's nice to see the instant results but it's not a profession for everyone."

It takes a lot of time and practice to get good and it is very dangerous. By all means if you want to go for it but there are a lot of easier ways to make a living and not very many people make it really big. There are a lot of shops that fail too, so when you do get in the industry go to a bigger shop.

I too know guys who love it and guess what they are the same ones who told me not to.
Take some classes at the local votec and see if you really like it or if you just want to do it as a fun hobby.
Working on cars for a living can be really rewarding but at the same time when you get home at night do you want to work on your own?

Please don't start on your hood, take some scrap and start playing with the metal to see exactly how it reacts to stretching, heat, hammering ect... Do some more research and maybe rent/buy some vids on it and listen to sugestions from people who have been doing it for a long time.

Try to get a job in a shop, at first you will be clean up man but let them know you want to learn, they will most likely be willing to teach as long as you are not in the way.

I wasn't tring to diss on you or anything just let you know what others have told me.

dude I just turned 21 and just got my AA in collision repair. Don't let people discourage you but did you even read what I said?

"Thats what all the body guys I know told me before I went to school for it. It gets old fast and can kill you quickly if you don't take percations.
It's nice to see the instant results but it's not a profession for everyone."

It takes a lot of time and practice to get good and it is very dangerous. By all means if you want to go for it but there are a lot of easier ways to make a living and not very many people make it really big. There are a lot of shops that fail too, so when you do get in the industry go to a bigger shop.

I too know guys who love it and guess what they are the same ones who told me not to.
Take some classes at the local votec and see if you really like it or if you just want to do it as a fun hobby.
Working on cars for a living can be really rewarding but at the same time when you get home at night do you want to work on your own?

Please don't start on your hood, take some scrap and start playing with the metal to see exactly how it reacts to stretching, heat, hammering ect... Do some more research and maybe rent/buy some vids on it and listen to sugestions from people who have been doing it for a long time.

Try to get a job in a shop, at first you will be clean up man but let them know you want to learn, they will most likely be willing to teach as long as you are not in the way.

I wasn't tring to diss on you or anything just let you know what others have told me.

It's ok man I understand....

And I'm not trying to hammer on my hood or anything, all I want to do is sand it down and paint it so I can try my hand at sanding/prep and painting for the first time! haha

im not a body guy at all i just painted my wifes car i didnt have a clue but it came out better than i expected first thing i did was look for any noticable dents and marked them then i put 100 grit sand paper on my disc and sanded the dent and surrounding small area note my base paint was old but not flaking so i did not need to take the entire hood down to metal ,only where i had to ,i then filled thin layers of bondo, sanded it level i used the electric sander with i then used 320 grit in the whole car i sprayed it with Awlcraft 2000 airplane and boat paint it lays on nice the car looked good for a daily driver , now im doing my 68 valiant but im block sanding this car so alot more work and hopefully it will look a little better than my first 1

It's not just sandpaper. As I found out from the guy who did my work and others, you find what works, what does not and see what others cannot. Go for it. Where would we be without Barris and others that pointed the way? Good luck.

Well guys... it's what I want to do after highschool so I thought I would venture into doing some bodywork on my rampage. I figure I will try it out on the hood since it's relatively flat and looks like crap already :p

Basically what I am asking from you is to tell me how to go about doing this. How should I sand the paint off, what filler do I buy, when to apply and sand the filler, the basics on HOW to sand everything... what primer will work, etc.

I know there are a lot of questions but if anyone knows how to paint and can just explain the process in steps, I think that's all I need.

Thanks in advance.

You could also go into any auto parts store and look in the body section of an open Hayes manual. They have some photos & pointers just to give you a good first look at the basics. Just a thought.
Good Luck with the body career. I wish I would have went that way when I was young. Am just now having to get serious with it due to layoff and I have a natural nack for it.
Again Good luck to you!!8)

Well, I've managed to get the paint to stick on a few cars and withstand the test of time and weather, so without going into a major philosophical discussion about what you should do or shouldn't do I can tell you what I have learned over the years from pros and from my own experience, but like others said here, be safe!! And remember, the best body man in the world is worthless when he's lying in a hospital bed!!

First, you need to get this book before you do anything http://www.eastwood.com/key-to-metal-bumping-book.html Yes, it's old print but has very useful information. The better you prep the metal the less bondo you will need and the better life will be. Learn to work with metal!! Now, there are plenty of opinions to fixing dents from a high end resto or a just fix the dent in the least amount of time possible. The end result can be acceptable when it comes out of the booth but the long term results may not be the same. Whatever method you use depends on who you are working for.

Prepping surface for bondo: The bare metal surface needs to be roughed up to give the bondo some "tooth" to grab on to. Grind the repair area to bare metal with 16 grit. Apply bondo, cheese grate and sand with 40 grit. This will take practice and you will need to develop a feel to know when you are ready for the next step. Use an old T shirt wrapped around your hand to help magnify the surface. Try it! A dark ring around the bondo area usually means that area is low. You just want to break the edge.

Rust repair: Cutting out the rust and welding in a panel is common on the old stuff but metal shrinks when you weld it so not that easy. Best I can say is go slow and by that I mean don't weld up the whole panel right away. Make a few tacks or short seams then let it cool and bang it out straight again. Repeat until you have a welded seam all around. Now, there is a lot of voodoo about rust coming back, hence the trerm "rust never sleeps" (A bit of a Neil Young reference there - yeah, I'm a fan!) but if you want to keep it asleep you need to SEAL BOTH SIDES OF THE WELD REPAIR. The back side can be sprayed with undercoating, paint, the oily goo that Eastwood sells, or even roofing cement but never primer by itself. The main thing is to keep the bare clean metal out of an oxidizing environment.

When you get to the primer stage use a high build catalysed primer (common these days). I like to cut the first primer application with 80 grit and that will be enough to fill the 40 grit scratches. Eventually you will block with 180. The more you block the better. The idea is to average out the subtle highs and lows. I use a criss cross pattern and pay attention to the body contour when I sand. It's easy to build up too much primer and that can lead to other problems because the paint is too thick. Guide coat can be used to help find the lows. It's also important to have all the panels pre fitted and better yet, in place when you do the body work. Working on a fender on a stand may go well but when installed on the car the contour may not match the door for example.

Final coat of primer and wet sand with 400. Some will say 600 and I've seen good results using both. I guess it depends how the paint covers and fills the wet sand scratches.

Best of luck to you, wear a resperator and a real dust mask when sanding, and hopefully you will have your own high end hot rod shop someday - or maybe a TV show!!

Well, I've managed to get the paint to stick on a few cars and withstand the test of time and weather, so without going into a major philosophical discussion about what you should do or shouldn't do I can tell you what I have learned over the years from pros and from my own experience, but like others said here, be safe!! And remember, the best body man in the world is worthless when he's lying in a hospital bed!!

First, you need to get this book before you do anything http://www.eastwood.com/key-to-metal-bumping-book.html Yes, it's old print but has very useful information. The better you prep the metal the less bondo you will need and the better life will be. Learn to work with metal!! Now, there are plenty of opinions to fixing dents from a high end resto or a just fix the dent in the least amount of time possible. The end result can be acceptable when it comes out of the booth but the long term results may not be the same. Whatever method you use depends on who you are working for.

Prepping surface for bondo: The bare metal surface needs to be roughed up to give the bondo some "tooth" to grab on to. Grind the repair area to bare metal with 16 grit. Apply bondo, cheese grate and sand with 40 grit. This will take practice and you will need to develop a feel to know when you are ready for the next step. Use an old T shirt wrapped around your hand to help magnify the surface. Try it! A dark ring around the bondo area usually means that area is low. You just want to break the edge.

Rust repair: Cutting out the rust and welding in a panel is common on the old stuff but metal shrinks when you weld it so not that easy. Best I can say is go slow and by that I mean don't weld up the whole panel right away. Make a few tacks or short seams then let it cool and bang it out straight again. Repeat until you have a welded seam all around. Now, there is a lot of voodoo about rust coming back, hence the trerm "rust never sleeps" (A bit of a Neil Young reference there - yeah, I'm a fan!) but if you want to keep it asleep you need to SEAL BOTH SIDES OF THE WELD REPAIR. The back side can be sprayed with undercoating, paint, the oily goo that Eastwood sells, or even roofing cement but never primer by itself. The main thing is to keep the bare clean metal out of an oxidizing environment.

When you get to the primer stage use a high build catalysed primer (common these days). I like to cut the first primer application with 80 grit and that will be enough to fill the 40 grit scratches. Eventually you will block with 180. The more you block the better. The idea is to average out the subtle highs and lows. I use a criss cross pattern and pay attention to the body contour when I sand. It's easy to build up too much primer and that can lead to other problems because the paint is too thick. Guide coat can be used to help find the lows. It's also important to have all the panels pre fitted and better yet, in place when you do the body work. Working on a fender on a stand may go well but when installed on the car the contour may not match the door for example.

Final coat of primer and wet sand with 400. Some will say 600 and I've seen good results using both. I guess it depends how the paint covers and fills the wet sand scratches.

Best of luck to you, wear a resperator and a real dust mask when sanding, and hopefully you will have your own high end hot rod shop someday - or maybe a TV show!!

Now that is more of what I was looking for. Thanks very much for taking the time to type all that out. I'll do some more reading before anything happens but this is a great start. :cheers:

He's very right about it being dangerous,it is a nice way to make a living and if you use proper equipment the hazzards are lessend.so make sure you use proper safty equipment.especially safty glasses and dust masks. enough about that for now...get an old fender that is junk and put a small dent in it......close your eyes and rub a flat hand across the dented area till you feel it and the high and low spot's that have come with the dent.now get a body hammer and a dollie(not barbie) hold the dollie and gently work the dent back out with the hammer.close eyes repeat step two(step one was to put dent in fender loL) feel it out and then hamer and dollie the area till there are no high spots and as lil a low spot as possible.now take grinder and ruff up area to apply bondo,about 2" past the dent all the way around then apply bondo(smothe it on slowly to avoid pinholes) thenafter its dry you can use sanding block to work the bondo down with progressively finer sandpaper.again close the eyes and rub the flat open hand over the area to feel the high's and lows till you are satisfied.then with a da sander feather edge the painted area around the repaired area to prepare it for primer surfacer.prime in several medium wet coats allow to dry for at least 24 hours then block sand with 320 grit paper.if you did it right you will not see any high or low spots and then that spot is ready to be prepped to paint.here's some pic's ...not really for this beginer stage but will give you some ideas about more advanced repairs and even with this repair the hammer and dollie are valuable as is closing the eyes and feeling out the repair area.

rustyfender.JPG

criticalmeasurements.JPG

repair piece.JPG

puzzlepieces.JPG

viola'finished product.JPG

When i first started reading i would have agreed with res1vw21 saying: DONT, but i see you want to do this, and are looking into possible going into the carreer so then 2 thumbs up:cheers:, I graduated school in may and have been working at a shop for over a year and a half and I love it.

Someone already beat me to the basics of it all, I also agree start with a book, and some scrap metal to get going on it, one word you dont have to dump the filler on(common when i went to school) and dont show that you love sanding....by sanding too much mud/filler off and having to reapply numerous times.

Also look into glazing putty, works wonders for final touchups, filling in lil holes from your old mud work.

Strip with a grinder/24g
Filler sand with 36/40 or 80 really depends on the filler, I do like the high end evercoat rage extreme stuff, very runny though so not too good for big areas on the sides of cars/doors/qts, hell finish it with 120 if you use that.

glaze typically 80-120

then when the body work is good, finish it with 220, and 320, the less scratches the less change of dyeback or just marks in your primer. just make sure not to finish sand off nto much and undercut your materials.

Ive used the pollyester primer and it works great, fills really really well, i like it better then what we used at school which was PPG's JP202 primer.

We finish sand with 400 to go over everything then final of 600g

-
Back