I'm guessing the issue is the headlight switch?

-

scott2683

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I was digging around under my dash today to replace a couple dash bulbs and when i finished up I pulled on the light switch and nothing happened. So I checked the side marker lights, and tail lights, still nothing. So I turned on the headlights, and they worked.

I started fiddling with the switch and noticed that there was a loose wire on the harness, I pulled up google and it was the parking light wire. I put it back on, turned on the parking lights and boom all appropriate lights were working. Then when I clicked it out one more notch, I had headlights and tail lights, but no dash lights or side marker lights.

Does this sound like I've somehow suddenly shorted out the headlight switch? I'm not sure what else to look for.

Any help would be appreciated!

have a safe night!

I doubt you "suddenly shorted" the switch

Go to MyMopar and download the closest thing there for a proper service manual. There are many, they are free. Some of them there are from the guys here

Also there is aftermarket wiring diagrams, which are somewhat simplified, and sometimes easier to follow

Your light switch has TWO power supplies, and is associated with two fuses

Here's how it works.........

Power for ONLY the headlights IS NOT FUSED and comes from a big welded splice up under the dash in the ammeter circuit. There is a circuit breaker for the headlights ONLY integrated into the switch

Power for tail, park, and dash comes FROM the tail light fuse. So that fuse must be good and have power

Power for dash lights comes FROM the same TAIL fuse but AFTER that dash light .....dimmer controlled....power leaves the switch, THEN it goes to and through the "INST" fuse, and then off the the dash lights.

More likely you have a loose connection in the fuse panel or the light switch connector, or a loose fuse/ clips

I'll check everywhere else and see what I come up with. This car has been an electrical challenge since I bought it. It's weird how they work until i turn the headlights on? I will work on engines any day ... I'm still pretty new when it comes to wiring and schematics, I'm fairly new ... but I have a decent understanding. Also thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate that!

Last edited:
Y'r welcome. Post back in this thread if you have more. Sometimes a "wiggle test" will tell you "things." Look for spark, feel for heat, smoke, etc

All that said, the headlight switch is potentially problematic. Headlights, especially high beams, draw big amps, and it all goes through the switch. I've melted one on a night drive. Someone may have overloaded this one in the past. Just something to check.

The way the OP describes "how this happens" doesn't sound like the switch would have suddenly quit. You are right, they do fail. I would not call them problematic or frequent. I BELIEVE my 67 still has the OEM original.

Hey all, thanks for the help. I found another switch, plugged it in, and I had the same issue, so I started re-checking the wires at the harness. It appears someone had attempted to rewire the harness at some point. When I was under the dash putting in new dash lights, I must have moved one of the wires causing it to short out.

What a pain in the *** ... 4 hours later and I finally figure it out! LOL

-
Back