im in need of some help

-

highflyer

Reaction score
when i start this motor,360 ,it runs pretty ruff.it has a 1405 and no choke..iv tryed 2 dizzys 2 coils two ecus...plugs were pretty dark so i matched jetting with the 1406..it has no miles,alignment issues.....,only a few hours of break in and garage time...when its first started it runs ruff till it gets hot ,then it runs fair..but it never runs clean.. off idle 1200 TO 15 hundred or so it stumbles ever so slight and misses a little.the miss is never constant [like a wire or plug]it varies and iv put in new plugs.wires and cap and rotor are good 75 to 105 ohms no breaks new taylors...fuel pressure is 5 pnds and i did a hot compression test at 155 plus or minus less than 5 lbs variation on all cylinders..iv tryed 12 volts direct from the batt to the + side of coil..no change.resistor is .6 ohms and 6.0 ohms.....im beginning to think iv missed on the intake gaskets...any great ways to tell if they are sucking air i havnt used any chemtool or propane around yet..if i cup the carb i can stall the motor..i havnt looked at manifold vacume yet either..any help PLEASE..TX..J

1 Did this EVER run right, or is this something you just assembled/ bought and fired?

This sounds more like a carb issue than a fuel issue. First thing I'd do (you can get the destructions at the Edelbrock website) is to loosen the screws on the metering rod covers so you can swivel them off to the side when running, then find out at idle, if both rods are seated.

What shape is the carb? New/ used, REALLY used, gummed up, have you been into it? Do the idle mixture screws have proper effect?

What comes out the exhaust?

Run a "backyard" cylinder balance test.

Use a grounded probe, pull one wire loose at the dist. cap one at a time and ground it the cap tower. That is, do NOT allow the cap to crossfire to other cylinders. Each cylinder should drop the same RPM and "sound the same"

carb is new or relatively new..clean as a whistle...i just jetted it down,no change..idle screws def have an effect will allow it to run rich or lean or kill it altogether...iv got it timed at 10 degrees now..new motor...ill do vacume and check rods this w/e..also ill check with propane and b12..im really stumped..without being able to drive it ,[alignment]its hard to tell what it wants...cam is a engle basically 340 cam..all help appreciated..j

How old is the gas you are using? More than a few months old and it will start to go bad.

I also agree that you have possible carburetor problems. Could be jetting, incorrect float adjustment, fuel logged float causing high fuel level all of which can cause engine to load up and run rich.

Vacuum leak will cause high idle, poor reaction to idle mixture screws, flat spot, and if you have a bad leak back firing out carburetor during rpm increase.

Spray carburetor cleaner, or mist water from a squirt bottle around manifold, base of carb, check power brake for vacuum leak by plugging its tap on manifold, also isolate any dash related vacuum operated devices by plugging their tap, and if rpm changes that is a vacuum leak location. Do you have the vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum, and dose its diaphragm hold a vacuum?

As for base timing I don’t know what a 360 likes, but 10 degrees should be a starting point.

carb is new or relatively new..clean as a whistle...i just jetted it down,no change..idle screws def have an effect will allow it to run rich or lean or kill it altogether...iv got it timed at 10 degrees now..new motor...ill do vacume and check rods this w/e..also ill check with propane and b12..im really stumped..without being able to drive it ,[alignment]its hard to tell what it wants...cam is a engle basically 340 cam..all help appreciated..j
Silly question: Is the plug in the back of the Carb? When I got my Eddy, It had a big threaded hole for a Vacuum Port to screw into for the Brake booster.

thanks you all.. just got car back from aqlignment shop...drives like a 70,s car..yes the plug is in there are no vac taps or ports being used other dist and pvc ..dist is plugged in to ported vac ..vac pot holds vac just fine,,,the gas is new chevrons finest ...its never backfired carb floats are brass not heavy or sinking and float height and drop is spot on...i dont any longer believe carb is a issue..if it was a holley,id suspect the metering block was leaking air but not this 1405.next step is to follow 67dart273 directions and try following the wires and chec em for resistance, continuity and ohm ..and vacume and chemtool all the gaskets..j. .keep coming with ideas ...please...j

-
Back